What hop am I missing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backdaft

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing some simple grain bill/hoppy IPA's soon. They are all for post-boil hop additions & for dry hopping. I have a pound each of Simcoe, Amarillo, Ekuanot & Denali. Anyone want to tell me what 1 or 2 hops I am missing. I'm generally going for a citrus/tropical feel.

I'm planning on brewing some simple grain bill/hoppy IPA's soon. They are all for post-boil hop additions & for dry hopping. I have a pound each of Simcoe, Amarillo, Ekuanot & Denali. Anyone want to tell me what 1 or 2 hops I am missing. I'm generally going for a citrus/tropical feel.
Citra and Mosaic

Yeah, I figured I'd hear about Citra/Mosaic. Do I have to go with a lighter ratio when using Citra? I do also love that Cascade/Centennial combo

I found that Idaho 7 (it may also be known as 007) was an excellent hop to pair with Comet. Cascade and Centennial are classic for the style. Actually haven't used the ones you listed...yet.

Although not in your beer style you're listing...FWIW I keep a few ounces of hallertauer hops handy. It's my go to hops

Since you mentioned Simcoe, I really like it paired with Centennial when both are late kettle additions and dry hops. Columbus for bittering with those two perhaps.

And so does the craft beer world, considering PTE was the most popular craft beer in the states for eleventy hundred years straight....

I've never mixed my Centennial with anything other than Cascade. This might a winning combination with their low cost and all

I mix every IPA hop blend with centennial. My standard pale ale is 50/50 centennial and mosaic. My brut ipas are a mix of 3 hops, centennial is always one and the others are a.combo of: mosaic, citra, Galaxy, El dorado, newly trying out Idaho 7. Galaxy has to be used VERY lightly for my taste. Let's say citra and mosaic are my 2 others, I might do 2,2,2 with centennial. If I am using Galaxy something like, 1galaxy 2.5 centennial, 2.5 mosaic.

I mix every IPA hop blend with centennial. My standard pale ale is 50/50 centennial and mosaic. My brut ipas are a mix of 3 hops, centennial is always one and the others are a.combo of: mosaic, citra, Galaxy, El dorado, newly trying out Idaho 7. Galaxy has to be used VERY lightly for my taste. Let's say citra and mosaic are my 2 others, I might do 2,2,2 with centennial. If I am using Galaxy something like, 1galaxy 2.5 centennial, 2.5 mosaic.
My pales are just that... A 50/50 mix with Centennial almost aways. This time with Simcoe. The other one with Ekuanot & Denali. I've tried the Citra/Mosaic thing with some success. My ratios are off. I've yet to try the El Dorado or Idaho 7 though.

Back