What have I done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboy

Reaction score
I saw a recipe on this forum called Panty Dropping Cider and used Nottingham yeast instead and jokingly called it Notty Panty Dropping Cider. It was 1 gal of apple juice and 4 concentrates and 2.5 cups of sugar. I let it sit for about 2 weeks fermenting and bottled it this weekend. When I checked it before I bottled it, my FG was 1.002! :drunk: I had my wife check to see if what I was seeing was right. There it was. One line below 1.000. Tasted it and it was nice. A little young still but nice and warm going down. :D I'm going to let it sit for about 4 weeks before I open a bottle. Is this one I'm going to have to put sit down to drink? Will this monster be friendly or mean?

flyboy said:
I saw a recipe on this forum called Panty Dropping Cider and used Nottingham yeast instead and jokingly called it Notty Panty Dropping Cider. It was 1 gal of apple juice and 4 concentrates and 2.5 cups of sugar. I let it sit for about 2 weeks fermenting and bottled it this weekend. When I checked it before I bottled it, my FG was 1.002! :drunk: I had my wife check to see if what I was seeing was right. There it was. One line below 1.000. Tasted it and it was nice. A little young still but nice and warm going down. :D I'm going to let it sit for about 4 weeks before I open a bottle. Is this one I'm going to have to put sit down to drink? Will this monster be friendly or mean?

what was your OG? EdWort's apfelwein finishes below 1.000 and has an ABV of around 8% IIRC. So to answer your question, yes, it will beat your ass and make cracks about your ma. Apfelwein sneaks up on me...and before I know it, I'm ruinated. Just be careful with it, because the alcohol hides very well under there.

By 4x concentrates you mean 4 of those frozen apple juice tubes that you mix with water?

Can I make this stuff with something other than Apple juice?

Also do you need a food grade plastic for this stuff??? Or say can I ferment a gallon or two in a plastic bottle?

I had an old Mr. Beer "keg" that my kids made root beer in. I used that as my fermenter. Yes, I used 4 of those frozen apple juice tube that you mix with water. I was also wondering about using concentrated Cherry juice and asked some on the forum about that. They said it wouldn't be cider but didn't know what it would be. A friend of mine here at work says it sounds like rail. I've never heard of it. But he said when he was in England he had a drink called rail that was like cider but made from apricots or cherries or mixed berries. Really tasty, he said. I want to try that next.

Evan! to answer your question, the OG was about 1.050. Just below that line. I don't remember exactly. I was messing with that tiny little fermenter and was trying to get all the parts working right. It had a lot of sugar and I was thinking "Well, it'll be nice a sweet." and expecting a FG arount 1.020 or so. Not 1.002. I hope it doesn't wind up too dry for my SWMBO or I'll be drinking it all. Wait, that's not a bad thing either. :D

Actually those Carlo Rossi wine bottles that are a gallon-jug would be perfect for this..

I'm going to try it with Cran-Rasberry juice. This juice is pretty strong/tart.. I may make it so I use 1gal of apple juice, and a few of the concentrates..

Did you make 5gals of it? Or rather, how much extra water for the 4 concentrate cans?

El_Borracho said:
Actually those Carlo Rossi wine bottles that are a gallon-jug would be perfect for this..

I'm going to try it with Cran-Rasberry juice. This juice is pretty strong/tart.. I may make it so I use 1gal of apple juice, and a few of the concentrates..

Did you make 5gals of it? Or rather, how much extra water for the 4 concentrate cans?

Here's my version of Notty Panty Dropper Cider. I just made two and a half gallons. If it finishes good, I'll make 5 gals. I put one gal of apple juice not from concentrate, 2.5 cups sugar, and two apple concentrates in a 12 gt stock pot and heat to 170 degreed to desolve the sugar and kill any bad bugs. Added the remaining two concentrates to cool it down to less then 140 degrees. Add to fermenter and top off to 2.5 gals. Pitch one packet of Nottingham dry yeast when 85 degrees. I let mine sit for two weeks and then bottled with 6 tablespoons sugar. To make this for 5 gals, I'd double the recipe. It was a little cloudy when I bottled it but was crystal clear this morning when I checked the bottles. I'm going to wait about 4 weeks to let it age nicely before I try a bottle.

flyboy said:
Evan! to answer your question, the OG was about 1.050. Just below that line. I don't remember exactly. I was messing with that tiny little fermenter and was trying to get all the parts working right. It had a lot of sugar and I was thinking "Well, it'll be nice a sweet." and expecting a FG arount 1.020 or so. Not 1.002. I hope it doesn't wind up too dry for my SWMBO or I'll be drinking it all. Wait, that's not a bad thing either. :D

1.050 - 1.002 = 0.048 * 131 = 6.29% ABV

Not exactly knock you on yer arse, but a still a pretty potent drink... :tank:

Adolphus79 said:
1.050 - 1.002 = 0.048 * 131 = 6.29% ABV

Not exactly knock you on yer arse, but a still a pretty potent drink... :tank:

Thaks for the eqation. I've been looking for it on google with no luck. I'll let the next batch sit for another week or so. :)

1 gal batch:

1/2 gallon apple juice/cider
1 can concentrate
2 cups corn sugar
montrachet wine yeast

og 1.080
fg .998
10.5 % abv:tank:

top of to 1 gal w distilled h2o. let sit in prim for 1 mo, transfer to sec/clearing and crash cool for 2 wks, then bottle still:drunk:

I recently did Ed's Apfelwein using Nottingham. It's got an interesting flavor, but FWIW I'll probably never do it again. It just doesn't have the clean flavor that Montrachet lends, and it's got way too much twang. I used brown sugar in this as well, and a bit of cinnamon. Perhaps all that was overkill, but I've got a batch that's barely drinkable.

Back