What have I created?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jes2xu

Reaction score
So I brewed a fairly standard AG best bitter. But for some strange reason decided to throw in a touch of roasted barely.

I just tried it for the first time tonight, although it wasn't really carbonated i think I have a good grasp on what it's going to taste like. Question is what category will it now fall under? Or is it just a mongrel haha?

It is a bit dark for a BB around 18-19 SRM. Aroma is malt and fruity esters. Flavour is malt with a little fruit finishing with coffe/chocolate hints. Bitterness is low medium (but I'm guessing it may finish a bit more bitter when carbed).

It's going to be a interesting beer for sure, but the geek in me wants to know if it fits into a BJCP guideline somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Cheers team had thought of the English brown. Hadn't thought of the dark mild though! Guess il be patient and let it carb up, then give it another tasting :)

I'd say it's still a bitter. Lots of them have dark malts or caramel to colour them. Some are as dark as milds and definitively are not milds (thinner, less hoppy, more fruit flavours) or brown ales (thicker, maltier, sweeter if southern). BJCP is a very bad match for British ales, it would fail to classify about half of them.

Hmmmm yeah when you put it that way it does kinda split the other two styles.

Will be interested to see what it's like fully carbed!

Latest posts

Back