what happened

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kieraing97

Reaction score
I just finished brewing an extract kit for a Czech Pilsner. Allowed the beer to ferment in primary for a week then transfered to a secondary fermentor for two weeks then kegged. Everything looked to be ok but the beer tastes a little off. It has like a sharp bitter/acidic taste, wondering if anyone could clue me in as to what I can do better in the future. Thanks

First, you should let it ferment for at least 2 weeks in primary and no secondary is needed (especially if you keg). Second, what was your boil time? If 60 minutes pilsner has a lot of SMM which needs more time to boil off (try a 90 minute). Lastly, could be an ingredient (too much bittering hops, some grain husks getting into wort if you used and soaked grains, or fermentation temperature). Keep brewing and having fun. Work on all these one at a time.

Comparatively speaking, a Pilsner-style brew should have a perception of hop bitterness and good carbonation. It's a good indication you have a young beer. I tend to test and compare flavors and the character of my beers as they age, but my beer gets consumed fairly quickly and doesn't last more than a couple months after bottle conditioning.

Pilsners/Lagers are not easy to brew, especially if you don't have tight temperature control (temperature controlled fermentation chamber).

Your extract kit may also limit how it will taste, but it should not be overly bitter or acidic. As said before, your beer is still young, it should improve over time.

It's difficult to compare an extract kit brewed with an ale yeast to commercially available Pilsners and Pilsner style beers. Those are brewed all-grain, some with very artesian methods, and fermented with a Lager/Pilsner yeast that may take as long as 2-4 weeks to ferment at 50-55°F, then allowed to condition for a few days at 60-65F, before they get lagered (stored) for 4-6 weeks, or longer at near freezing temps (30-35F) to mature and become crisp and crystal clear.

Before attempting another, I recommend reading up on how to brew beer the right way. You can brew delicious beer from malt extracts, even Lagers/Pilsners. Kit instructions are notably simplified for easy access, not necessarily for producing the best possible beer. HBT (this site) is a wonderful resource, with helpful people.

I had this problem before with over carbonated beer. I would release the pressure once or twice in the keg over a day or two to see if the bitter bite goes away. I started noticing the same thing when my beer was great for 2 or 3 days and then got super bitter. Released the pressure for a day or two and the bitterness went away.

Good job reaching out for advice.

I'd recommend staying away from lagers when you are starting out. Difficult to get extract fresh enough to produce really light colored beers and as others have said traditional lager brewing involves temperature control and aging. It also requires significantly more yeast (about double ale requirements). The best are delicate, lightly flavored beers that let every brewing mistake shine through. No problem staking lager out as your ambition but until you build up the skills you might want to try some lightly hopped ale styles such as blond, American wheat, british bitter or mild (neither of these are bitter) etc. Ale yeast works well if you can keep temps in the mid 60s and is pretty fast from pitch to packaging.

Back