What happened!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyturtle64

Reaction score
Ok, so this weekend we decided to brew three batches. My first batch was a Belgian triple and I was a little low for my og but that's ok I think it was at 1.67 and I was at 1.57 not a big deal I added a extra pound of sugar no big.

My stout came in practically dead on and the. The third batch... What the heck went wrong. I was brewing an ipa and was using left over grains. Just experimenting. Ended up using half American Pilsner and half pale 2 row for vase grain. I was supposed to come in at 1.066 and well I only got to 1.04 not sure how I got so far off. I did a single infusion at 154 degree. Since I used Pilsner should I have done a 3 step. 120 for 20 min 148 for 20 mins and then 156 for 29 mins. Man I was so disapointed.

The first thing I would check was whether your calculations were correct - did the amount of grain you used with the efficiency you usually get really lead to an expected OG of 1.066? You don't need to do a step mash to convert pilsner grain, the step mash is to get a particular flavor profile, not increase efficiency. If your calculations are correct, its possible your weight measurement was off - you used less grain that you intended. Finally, were your volumes on - did you end up with the rigth amount of wort that you expected or did you end up with more? That would lower your OG, too.

Sorry to hear that it was such a trial - but three batches in one weekend is really something.

I think o figured it out. I believe the ph of the water was to high. I usually use the 5.2 and get it correct. This time I did not use it. I think that and I turned on my water softener. I think the soft water is having a impact here as well.

Back