What happened to my pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRE66_6TART

Reaction score
Pot used to be that same blue color throughout and smooth to the touch. Now it's whitish and rough feeling. I might have had some star-san or oxy-clean sitting in it for a while at some point, don't really remember. Not sure what metal it's made of. Any reason not to keep using it?

image-1017030680.jpg

If it is a deposit from Oxyclean, you can remove it with hot water. It could also be something from your water source which is depositing during a boil. If you bring your water to a boil and it doesn't go away, then it probably won't go into your beer. I wouldn't fear it.

Since StarSan is a slight acidic sanitizer, leaving it in contact with stainless steel for prolonged periods of time is not recommended; there's a warning on the bottle I believe

Looks like an enamel coated pot. I could see Star-San "etching" the finish. PBW will do the same thing...

If that is happening after a wort boil, it looks like beer stone (hydroxylapatite) which is a precipitate from calcium and phosphate. Could also be lime scale (hard water deposits, blame calcium again). If it's either of these, a hit with an acid cleaner should do the trick. StarSan should work as would a dilute solution of vinegar in water. If that does not clear it up, maybe bring out the CLR (it's got chelating agents and surfactants to break up hard deposits).

Thanks for the replies. Boiling water and star san aren't working, so if it's a deposit of some kind it's on there pretty good. Or it might just be etched from leaving star san it too long. Either way it should be ok for me to use it though right? By the way I mash in this pot, because it fits in my oven, and boils in a larger one.

Star San isn't going to etch the ceramic coating on the inside of that pot. If it could, it would have etched the living crap out of the glass carboy I've used as a Star San reservoir for years, yet that vessel is pristine. So what you have there is a deposit, most likely oxalate or carbonate from the water or wort or whatever. I wouldn't worry about it either way...

Cheers!

I wouldn't worry about it. You probably could make a barkeeper's friend paste and that might get it off, but it'd be alot of work and I don't see to what end.

Back