What happened to my FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
I started at 1.054 in a porter that I did with AG. The fermentation took about 3 days and stopped a couple of days ago. My FG was supposed to be at 1.010, but I'm getting readings at 1.021 which is about 4.0% alcohol. Since my target gravity wasn't hit, should I still siphon to secondary on top of cherries (what I was going to do initially), or should I try to do something to get this gravity to come down a bit more?

I started at 1.054 in a porter that I did with AG. The fermentation took about 3 days and stopped a couple of days ago. My FG was supposed to be at 1.010, but I'm getting readings at 1.021 which is about 4.0% alcohol. Since my target gravity wasn't hit, should I still siphon to secondary on top of cherries (what I was going to do initially), or should I try to do something to get this gravity to come down a bit more?

First, FG depends on many different things- yeast strain, mash ingredients, mash temperature, etc, so you may have not really missed your FG by much. I don't think I've ever had a porter finish at 1.010!

If you're planning on racking onto cherries, you can still do that. I'd wait until the beer has been about 10-12 days in the fermenter before racking, though.

So this is normal for a porter? This is my first one, but I figured and Beersmith figured, that I'd be hitting about 5.5%. I also still have floaties that I've noticed, but it's only been 5 days. I'm used to doing extract brews and don't have the floaties that I've been seeing in this one. Does it clear up as well as an extract will?

As a side note, I used Sterling English Ale yeast which was a new "had to have it" yeast that AHB got in. I figured I'd try it instead of Safale for something different. Could it be an attentuation problem, and should I throw some more yeast on it in case the other yeast didn't populate enough?

Thanks Yooper!

So this is normal for a porter? This is my first one, but I figured and Beersmith figured, that I'd be hitting about 5.5%. I also still have floaties that I've noticed, but it's only been 5 days. I'm used to doing extract brews and don't have the floaties that I've been seeing in this one. Does it clear up as well as an extract will?

As a side note, I used Sterling English Ale yeast which was a new "had to have it" yeast that AHB got in. I figured I'd try it instead of Safale for something different. Could it be an attentuation problem, and should I throw some more yeast on it in case the other yeast didn't populate enough?

Thanks Yooper!

I love Beersmith, but it's totally useless at figuring projected FG. It just gives a % of the OG as a projected FG. Try it and see what I mean- 100% corn sugar should ferment out to 1.000 (or even lower). but in Beersmith it doesn't discern between corn sugar (100% fermentable) and crystal malt (not very fermentable at all) in figuring FG. Throw into that some other ingredients, different mash temps, etc, and I've found that Beersmith is useless for guestimating FG.

Your yeast is fine. Even if it's a lower attenuating yeast, it'll be able to ferment the sugars in the cherries. I have no ideas why you still have floaties, but it could just be young beer. I'd wait until a full two weeks was up, and then rack it onto the cherries.

I love Beersmith, but it's totally useless at figuring projected FG. It just gives a % of the OG as a projected FG. Try it and see what I mean- 100% corn sugar should ferment out to 1.000 (or even lower). but in Beersmith it doesn't discern between corn sugar (100% fermentable) and crystal malt (not very fermentable at all) in figuring FG. Throw into that some other ingredients, different mash temps, etc, and I've found that Beersmith is useless for guestimating FG.

i've plugged in accurate numbers for my grain into beersmith, and i'm usually very close to the mark. edit them so they are correct, and from then on it works

Why not add the cherries to the primary...if the beer doesn't clear after the cherries are done cold crash it in the fridge. All of those floaties will drop. I had a beer with floating yeast after 3 weeks. Cold crashing of 2 days cleared out right up.

I'll be bottling this one though. Will cold crashing keep me from doing that or are you saying after I bottle then cold crash?

I bottle too. There will still be enough yeast in suspension to carb. Just cold crash until the chunks fall out

You are talking about a very fast fermentation.

I never even check the gravity for two weeks, no matter what the bubbler tells me.

+1 on cherries in the primary. Saves on beer loss and cleaning.

Do I just dump the cherries in the primary? I'm using a puree from Oregon. They're already sterilized, so I don't think I need to do anything. I'm all for not using a secondary!

And try to minimize splashing if you can. If you have a long spoon add it that way.

The more you splash adding the cherries the more you risk oxidation.

i've plugged in accurate numbers for my grain into beersmith, and i'm usually very close to the mark. edit them so they are correct, and from then on it works

Beersmith just takes the OG and takes a percentage of it to calculate the FG. It takes no account of the fermentability of the ingredients.

The percentage it uses is whatever you have listed for the yeast.

@Calder,

I need to get the book that they sell for it. I just started really using this software on this last batch, so I'm glad that everyone thinks the beer will be fine (at least that's what I'm gathering). :)

@bribo179,

Thanks for all of your help! I'll continue to check on it and do what you said. That saves me from having to secondary :)

Thanks everyone for the replies! I love this board...you guys have always helped tremendously!

Back