What grains should I get???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
My wife just bought me a BarleyCrusher (rad) and I'm trying to figure out what grains I should start out with. I'll buy one 50 lb bag of base plus others in 1 to 10 lb amounts. Here's what I'm thinking:

50 lbs NW Pale Malt (prefer MO, but this is cheaper)
5 lbs C20
5 lbs C40
5 lbs C90
5 lbs Wheat Malt
10 lbs Munich Light
1 lb Roasted Barley
2 lb Chocolate

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Cheers!

I only buy 2-row in bulk. Everything else I just stop by the store or order on the internet. I go through 2 row pretty quick so I know I can keep it fresh. The specialty malts, I'm not sure how long they will sit around. When I do buy the other grains, I always buy a pound or two extra. So I have a nice little stock for days I want to spontaneously brew. Of the grains you have there, I could see my self using the Munich.

I have a list of house beers that I rotate. Almost all use Safale 05 so I wash my yeast every third batch or so.

I also plan a brewing schedule designed to provide me hoppy beers and then pale or amber ales as a change up.

That list of five to seven beers provides me a base supply plan. From there I can now begin to purchase my specialty grains in bulk.

If I should want to brew a Stout, not one of the beers I consider my, "house brands" I will add it to the rotation and slip the necessary ingredients into my shopping list.

I also take the seasons into account as I rotate my brewing schedule to allow me seasonal beers to serve.

I watch my inventory and track it in Beersmith. I have a running shopping list that I keep handy as I never know when I am passing by a LHBS.

I use organic grains when possible. I buy quite a bit in bulk. I have bags of Gambrinus Pale Malt, Wheat and Munich. I also have 10 -15 lbs each of 20L and 60L caramel malt, which I bought in 55 lb bags and then split with some other members of my homebrew club.

Thanks, all! This has been helpful. How many bags of base do you usually buy at the same time? My LHBS sells 50 lb bags of Pale for $49.99 (+ tax), while MoreBeer has it for $37... but shipping is about $17. Any better deal out there?

Back