What gap do you set your barley crusher to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenmcchord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just got a barley crusher and I'll be crushing my own grain from now on. What does everyone use for a setting? I've seen a video where the recommended space is .38 while using a feeler gauge, does that sound about right?

Just cooked up a starter for the weekend brew, using the Yeast Bay Vermont ale yeast. Looking forward to a good brew day Saturday.

Thanks in advance. :mug:

I left mine at the setting I received it at. Getting 75% efficiency. I'm happy with that!

I set mine a little lower than the factory setting which i believe was 0.039"

Truly, i believe the factory setting is good

After I made it a little tighter I've had

more stuck sparges

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I condition my malt and then crush with the gap set to .039 (factory setting). Then I use a slow fly sparge rate. I routinely get 83%-85% efficiency.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have the crusher at the store set to .038 with feeler gauges and we check it 2x a week. Its not a "Barley Crusher" but when I used a Barley Crusher It was at factory .039 for years and never moved! That was a good mill!

Cheers
Jay

Thanks everyone, I'm going to check where it's at and try to get it around .038-.039. I bought it used (off of this site) and I just want to ensure its ready to go for tomorrow.

Re: stuck sparges, I have rice hulls which I plan on throwing a handful in the mash. Seems like cheap insurance against a stuck sparge.

Thanks again!

Back