What Fridge to Purchase?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeM

Reaction score
I'm considering taking the plunge and buying a fridge for fermentation. I'd prefer to buy a new fridge because I hope to use it for a long time and if new it might have a decent warranty. Space is a big issue. I'd like to get the smallest fridge possible that I can fit a 6.5 gallon glass carboy and blow off tube. Any suggestions re fridge size, brand, etc...
Thanks,
Mike

http://www.lowes.com/pd_75729-33112-LCM050LC_0_?productId=3042385&Ntt=holiday+freezer&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=holiday%20freezer$y=0$x=0

I got one of these and it works perfectly, and you can normally get lowes coupons off eBay for cheap. It fits a bucket, and looks like it has room for a corny keg and co2 too. the next size up isn't much more and fits two buckets. My roommate got that one. And the cold air won't escape when you open the lid unlike a normal fridge and the price is much lower. The sticker on it said it only uses like $25 a year to run and on the minimum cold setting, my thermometer was reading negative numbers, so with my temperature controller set at fermenting temps, it can't be using much power at all!

That's a nice chest freezer and pretty affordable. My only concern is that I may have a hard time placing and removing the carboy from it. Do you have any issues: dropped carboy, herniated disc, etc...?
Thanks,
Mike

I've never dropped a carboy yet, knock on wood! But when I get back to the states I will be getting some Better Bottles, or just using buckets to lager in, or my kegs. I also haven't broken my back yet, but am getting older. So, if you are worried about that, just put it on its side. That will knock out two birds. Actually three since you will be gaining back some space.

I also used mine for kegs though, so I kept it upright for the collar I had with taps coming through.

whoops, i didn't look at the measurements. disregard my previous thread.
thanks,
Mike

can you fement at ale temps in a freezer?
is it safe to put the thing on its side?
thanks,
mike

Back