What fridge should I use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhorgan1

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I looked around for a thread trying to show me a list of mini fridges for conversions that I coulda sworn I'd seen around before but I couldn't find it so maybe one of you guys can just answer the question for me.

I'm trying to build a kegerator that will fit two pin lock kegs converted to ball lock kegs. I would prefer a fridge where I don't need to deal with taking out the freezer since I tried that with a fridge I paid for and ended up somehow kinking a freon line and splitting it open. That being said, I learned from my mistake and I'll be more careful if I need to move a freezer. I'm trying to have the lines come out the top since I might end up integrating this kegerator into a bar and having the lines run to a tap tower on top. If anyone has any suggestions on where I could buy a fridge along with instructions I would be very happy. Thanks! :mug:--John

If you're getting a mini fridge just be sure that that freezer piece isn't in your way from the get-go and that it's tall enough and wide enough on the bottom shelf and you won't have any problems.

I had the same problem with the mini fridge I was gonna convert. I gave up on that and just found a smallish chest freezer that I'm gonna convert.

Just look around. Craigslist

Take a look at this thread from the Bottling/Kegging forum...

Cheers!

I think this was the thread I was looking for, too bad its for chest freezers. I really want a fridge that opens in the front so that I can integrate it with my bar without having to move it out every time i want to swap a keg. Thanks.

If you're getting a mini fridge just be sure that that freezer piece isn't in your way from the get-go and that it's tall enough and wide enough on the bottom shelf and you won't have any problems.

I had the same problem with the mini fridge I was gonna convert. I gave up on that and just found a smallish chest freezer that I'm gonna convert.

Just look around. Craigslist

Yea, thats how I destroyed my first fridge I was using. I would love to find a fridge with no freezer. I'm trying not to use a chest freezer so it doesnt have to open from the top. I think I would sell my kegs and buy regular ball locks before I use a chest freezer

Take a tape measure to home Depot, Lowes, appliance stores etc etc. You can find one that fits your needs or you can take some notes so that you know whether or not a Craigs list fridge will work for you.

Home depot sells a frigidaire minifridge that fits 2 ball lock kegs. You have to remove the bottom of the freezer section, but there is no way to hurt the fridge while doing this as it is just a plastic shelf (no bending, just unscrew and it slides out).

I know this doesn't totally answer your question, but I honestly don't know of any mini fridges that can fit 2 pinlocks due to their width, especially without modding the inside.

Have you already bought the pinlocks? If not consider going ball lock instead

I have seen a couple of builds with mini-fridges with small collars on them to make more room.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I talked to my good friend who recently got into homebrewing and I decided to sell my two old kegs to him and I'll pick up the taller skinnier kegs that I need to fit into a minifridge. He wants to put his kegs in a full size fridge anyway so everyone wins!

Back