What Fridge should I get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjack

Reaction score
I'm about to build my kegerator. I have a 20lb co2 tank, and two cornies but may put a third in eventually. What fridges do people like that can fit these?
Should I get a freezer or fridge? Why would I get one over the other?
Thanks

There was a discussion not to long ago about the size of frig to use plus one that had brown discs to show different model refrigerators could handle.
Many would hold two to four 5 gallon corny's then only a couple 3 gallon on the hump of the compressor or less with a small Co2 bottle inside. From what i've read is that the 5 to 6 plus cu/ft chest was the way to go allowing for many corny's,. I would think about your expanding your system in the future finding out the chest will not handle your needs. Like a gun safe always buy larger than you'll need as you'll expand and fill it in a short time anyhow. JMO's, did it twice on the gun safes.
My welding and local HBS were both against having the bottle and regulators inside the chests or refrigerators due to the moisture enviroment on the regulators and gauges. A little hard to hide a 150 cu/ft Nitrogen mix for the stouts unless a long remote line is used, my only choice.

Mine holds 6 kegs and a ten pound co2 tank.
img1526y.jpg

I'll check the size on the fridg. and let you know..I do keep all the kegs charged..I've been through about about 60 gallons of beer and it still has a lot in the tank. I put a flat shelf in the bottom so I could put all of the kegs in there.

Pat

I just finished building my from the ground up last weekend. I bought the Magic Chef 7.2 Cu.Ft chest freezer from HD

Magic Chef 7.2 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer - MCCF7WBX at The Home Depot

I use a five pound take and it seems to be okay for now. Although, I only have three taps in it right now.

The reason that I went with a freezer and an independent temp control is because I figured it would cheaper to have a freezer sit at 38 degrees then a fridge and because I think it is a cleaner look when you are done. IMHO a fridge conversion is a little to college and if I want I can remove the collar from the freezer sell it and upgrade if I need bigger, it would be a little harder to offload a fridge with a few holes drill through the door.

I use the holiday 5.2 cu ft chest freezer, you can fit 2 kegs and a 20 lb or 3 kegs and a 5 lb, unless you put a collar (i went with a tower) and ran from the outside

Chest freezer, I have done both. With the fridge I was always shuffling kegs around and trying to keep them in the fridge. With the freezer it is easier to grab one and pull it out. It also stays colder with less run time on the compressor as they are built to hold temps better and the cool air stays on the bottom. It also looks better in my office to have a shorter box with a tower on top instead of an upright fridge.

I went with a chest freezer with a collar that I have my taps going through.
I agree with SAMC, for some reason unless its very well thought out the fridge has kegs tipping and tilting. The chest freezer everythings there all connectors are clearly visible.
If you have room put your CO2 outside. (with a collar its just another small hole)

The cold co2 gives you false readings on pressure left. I thought I was out 1 day and pulled the co2 tank out and left it in the garage for a day and the gauge went back above the red.

my 2 cents

Some pics of my old kegerator These are shots of my old and new.

Back