What fitting for a ball lock post?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I am rigging up a beer line cleaner recirculation pump and took a liquid out post off one of my AEB kegs. I need a male fitting with a barb to fit into the ball lock post so I can attach this to the outlet of a pump with tubing.

I took the post to Fastenal but came up zero. Is this post a standard size so I can start looking? Thanks!!

A ball lock disconnect has a barb and is designed to fit over a post.

This should also be helpful http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2012/11/recirculating-draft-line-cleaning-build.html

Although the way i was thinking of doing it (and anyone correct me if this isnt good enough for the dip tube) was to connect the input directly to the faucet and the outlet to the bottom of the dip tube so i can clean the dip tube at the same time.

A ball lock disconnect has a barb and is designed to fit over a post.

This should also be helpful http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2012/11/recirculating-draft-line-cleaning-build.html

Although the way i was thinking of doing it (and anyone correct me if this isnt good enough for the dip tube) was to connect the input directly to the faucet and the outlet to the bottom of the dip tube so i can clean the dip tube at the same time.

I bought the carbonator cap as shown in this post. It wont fit my liquid out ball lock QD even when well lubed. That was a no-go.

Next, I take a ball lock post liquid out from an AEB keg and need a male barb so I can fit a hose on that barb to the pump. Cant find a male barb to fit in the threads on the ball lock post.

We are all having fitment issues. Here is my proposal:

Take a 1/2" silicone tube from the pump to the tap nozzle. Disassemble your ball lock QD so liquid can flow freely. Pump BLC into the open tap and run BLC into a collection bucket with the open QD in the bucket. Reverse flow.

We are all having fitment issues. Here is my proposal:

Take a 1/2" silicone tube from the pump to the tap nozzle. Disassemble your ball lock QD so liquid can flow freely. Pump BLC into the open tap and run BLC into a collection bucket with the open QD in the bucket. Reverse flow.

Seems that would solve the issue of finding an elusive barb that I am not sure exists. With tons of AEB keg owners out there, seems like there would be a quick answer for our questions.

I bought the carbonator cap as shown in this post. It wont fit my liquid out ball lock QD even when well lubed. That was a no-go.

Next, I take a ball lock post liquid out from an AEB keg and need a male barb so I can fit a hose on that barb to the pump. Cant find a male barb to fit in the threads on the ball lock post.

Weird, so all ball lock disconnects are not created equal? Mine fits no problem. I would imagine they should all be a universal fit. Thats some bad QC.

Weird, so all ball lock disconnects are not created equal? Mine fits no problem. I would imagine they should all be a universal fit. Thats some bad QC.

No there are liquid disconnects and co2 disconnects. If using a carbonator cap you would need the co2 disconnect instead of the liquid disconnect. They're intentionally different as to not get them mixed up. As forcing a co2 disconnect onto the liquid post makes it damn near impossible to remove. Ask me how I know lolol.

No there are liquid disconnects and co2 disconnects. If using a carbonator cap you would need the co2 disconnect instead of the liquid disconnect. They're intentionally different as to not get them mixed up. As forcing a co2 disconnect onto the liquid post makes it damn near impossible to remove. Ask me how I know lolol.

I did mean the liquid disconnect but now that you mention it i do vaguely remember reading (and i think it was in that guide i just posted) that the carbonator cap he listed in the guide fits both liquid and gas disconnects. The one i have works with the liquid disconnect.

Although as another note i bought my keg setup from someone off craigslist and he said when he used it he connected the co2 to the liquid out line. So somehow he even had that working (although i havnt personally been doing that as i read it makes little difference, the bubbles are too big and just rise to the surface).

someone said the carbonator cap works on a Firestone liquid post but not Cornelius. I didn't know it was this complicated to rig a pump

Back