What exactly is off gassing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkory

Reaction score
I've looked around but it doesn't seem like that term is used that often. I understand that some CO2 is dissolved in the beer as the bubbles float toward the surface during fermentation. But what would make it "come out" or "stay in" the beer while it's still in the fermenter? The reason I ask is because I've noticed gas being released from my primary even though the gravity hasn't budged from 1.010 in almost a week.

CO2 is dissolved into the liquid of the beer as a liquid under certain pressure temp. Generally during fermentation, the yeast release the liquid form directly into the beer and some will stay in that form and some will collect into bubbles and rise to the surface.

Temperature can affect how much of this CO2 can remain "in solution" (in liquid form) and how much is released as gas.

During fermentation the CO2 is added to the beer and it takes a bit for it all to come out of solution and be released as a gas. The warmer the temp, the more readily the CO2 will come out of solution. So if the beer was a bit chilly, then allowed to warm up, you will get more bubbles as the CO2 is released as gas.

That is why people often like to put the kegs in the fridge to carb. Cold beer will absorb the CO2 from the tank faster that way, and why warm beer foams so much more.

CO2 is dissolved into the liquid of the beer as a liquid under certain pressure temp. Generally during fermentation, the yeast release the liquid form directly into the beer and some will stay in that form and some will collect into bubbles and rise to the surface.

Temperature can affect how much of this CO2 can remain "in solution" (in liquid form) and how much is released as gas.

During fermentation the CO2 is added to the beer and it takes a bit for it all to come out of solution and be released as a gas. The warmer the temp, the more readily the CO2 will come out of solution. So if the beer was a bit chilly, then allowed to warm up, you will get more bubbles as the CO2 is released as gas.

That is why people often like to put the kegs in the fridge to carb. Cold beer will absorb the CO2 from the tank faster that way, and why warm beer foams so much more.

When your talking of carbing the beer in the fridge, would this work with bottles too? or just kegs where you inject CO2?

Ahh... thanks. It seems to be releasing a lot of gas, but it's also warm inside our house (about 78F). That could explain why so much gas is coming out of the beer. So since the gravity has stopped dropping I should be good to bottle, right?

if the area where you are fermenting has warmed up since a few days then that is probably why your beer started offgasing CO2.

The temperature gets no higher than 78 during the day, then down to the low 70s at night. I suppose that's the culprit.

The temperature gets no higher than 78 during the day, then down to the low 70s at night. I suppose that's the culprit.

It won't add CO2 unless the yeast are still making it. Once it's out of there it won't go back in unless you add pressure (like from a kegging system). A fermenter allows the CO2 to escape, therefore not able to reabsorb into the beer.

In a bottle, the CO2 will remain in solution because the pressure remains constant, and so does the amount of CO2. I mean it will release a small amount, but it will absorb back in when it chills again.

I know you probably want to bottle ASAP, but my advice is to wait a few days or a week or two. Your beer will only get better during that time, and you will not have to worry about unfermented beer causing bottle bombs.

The best way to know for certain is to use a hydrometer to measure the gravity and see if it is still fermenting. Measure, then wait 3 days and measure again. It should be at the recommended level and remain steady in that time.

I fermented a Wit 2 weeks ago and last week pulled it up from the basement to measure it. It took 20 minutes of on-again/off-again agitation to clear the bubbles. And the temp was only about 8-10 degrees cooler down there.

I've already taken gravity readings 6 days apart now and it has held steady at 1.010. As much as I'd like to let it go longer in the fermenter, I have to move in less than a week and really need to start packing things up.

I've already taken gravity readings 6 days apart now and it has held steady at 1.010. As much as I'd like to let it go longer in the fermenter, I have to move in less than a week and really need to start packing things up.

Ive read several times on HBT that if the gravity reading is steady for 3 days then its done. Correct me if Im wrong brew vets.

That's what I was thinking... but I have never had this issue with gas before.

That's what I was thinking... but I have never had this issue with gas before.

just wait till you get older everything gives you gas.

if the FG is steady for 6 days I think its safe to say its done . When i used to secondary the beer would of gas for a few days not much but you would see it in the BB

When I got home yesterday the lid was no longer bulging, but instead was still flat like it should have been. Bottled, put the final half full bottle in the fridge to chill out, and it tasted great. Higher fermentation temps gave it a slightly alcoholic taste (even though it's only 4.5%, but there are no funny twangs and I'm sure it'll only get better with age. It sort of tastes like a Fat Tire mixed with a Bass. Interesting, sort of light, and VERY drinkable.

If you were closer to Flint I'd trade you some. Then again, I don't know if even free beer is enough to get some people to come to Flint.

If you were closer to Flint I'd trade you some. Then again, I don't know if even free beer is enough to get some people to come to Flint.

It would be cool to maybe meet up somewhere in between, but honestly, my schedule is crazy now that school has started back up.

Back