What exactly does "End of Boil" mean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkenpolack

Reaction score
I'm making a Pumpkin Ale this weekend. I'm trying to follow a recipe and for the Maple Syrup and Honey it's telling me to put it in during "end of boil". Now I understand what flameout means and that recipe calls for that when I'm adding the Pumpkin Pie Spice but when it comes to end of boil, does that mean maybe with 10 minutes left? 5 minutes?

Not sure if I am correct, but the way I do it is just adding with about 2 min left. Haven't had any issues or anything yet. I am still relatively new to this so maybe a more experienced brewer could enlighten us.

I have never had a recipe addition that said "end of boil", but I would add it and as soon as it was stirred in I would turn off the heat. I doubt a minute or 5 would make any real difference.

I use "end of boil" and "flame out" synonymously. When adding sugar or honey, I typically add at "flame out". Many add as soon as 15min left in boil, but I don't like taking a chance of scorching by adding sugar while actively heating.

Back