What EXACTLY do i need to connect my corny keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilotBeer

Reaction score
I know there was a similar thread on this but I didn't walk away knowing EXACTLY what i need to connect my tap to my new corny keg:

I bought a corny keg, i have a sank (D) coupler. What parts do i need to buy so i can connnect my tap to my corny keg?

J

I don't think the sankey tap will be of any help. You need a couple quick disconnects for the corny kegs; one for gas and another for liquid. Tubing+clamps are needed for each. One end will connect to your CO2 manifold/regulator (usually 1/4"). The other quick disconnect can be connected to a picnic faucet that is clamped onto your liquid-out tube.

2 quick disconnects for corny posts
2 tubes: one for gas another for beer
4 clamps for tubes
1 picnic faucet with barbed fitting if necessary
1 screw on/ or barbed connector to hook up to your CO2 source

Ahhh ok, so is there no way to have it set up so i can transfer between D coupled (commercial, from the liquor store) kegs and corny kegs, without cutting lines or anything?

Yes, you can easily swap back and forth. Just get a parts list like this:

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=152

You put the swivel nuts on your gas/liquid lines, and the 1/4" MFL tailpieces replace the tailpieces on your D tap, and then you just screw on whichever tap you need for whatever you're serving and you're good to go. This is what I do on the occasions when I want to switch back and forth. It's super easier once you buy the parts.

also if the regulator was set up for sanke kegs, the valve on the regulator will be too big. You will need one of these http://morebeer.com/view_product/16208/102238/Shut_Off_Check_Ball_Valve
or the hose will be too big to connect to the gas-in disconnect.

I also recommend getting 8-9 feet of 3/16 beverage line. It seems like a lot but if you plan on serving @ 10-12lbs pressure a short line (4-5 feet) will cause a foamier beer. I switched from 5 to 9 feet and it pours much better.

You could make some quick disconnects in the lines, and be able to switch back and forth easily. I'm probably going to do this for a friend soon and figured it would cost around $40 in fittings.

Here's what I planned on using-
One set of corny keg disconnects with barbed fittings ($18)
Three 1/4" npt to barb fittings to match your gas line ($1.50 each)
Three of the same to match your beer line ($1.50 each)
4 male type D quick change couplers (10 pack for $2.50)
2 female type D quick change couplers ($3 each)

Just install the female fittings in the ends of the gas in and beverage out lines. Make some short lines that go from the sanke coupler to two male fittings, and another set that go from the corny disconnect to the other two male fittings. Switching from corny to commercial kegs and back would take seconds this way.

If you're not going to switch back and forth often, I'd just use the MFL tailpieces like jaobrien6 mentioned.

Ahhh ok, so is there no way to have it set up so i can transfer between D coupled (commercial, from the liquor store) kegs and corny kegs, without cutting lines or anything?

there is no "adapter" per se, i.e. you can't use a sankey/d tap to serve from a corny keg.

you can get quick connect kits like mentioned to swap between couplers, but you do still have to cut the lines to set it up

Back