What equipment are you obsessing over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexacuna

Reaction score
Thought it might be fun seeing what everyone else is checking out right now.

I'm thinking of a kegging setup right now. I could always look into more carboys, though. The more I have to fill, the more i need to fill.

Cant say its an obsession but I suppose a fermentation build is in order. I keep my brewing pretty darn simple so don't really need anything more. Unlike the sail boat....Lots of obsessions and way too little money for them. This really is a cheap hobby by most accounts.

An electric kettle, and another CO2 tank and lines so I can be force carbing and cold conditioning at the same time.

I'm currently pricing out components for a BIAB set up. I'm figuring on somewhere in the neighborhood of about $420 if I bite the bullet and buy everything in one order from my LHBS.

Several things in the works:

Immediate
1: Diptube
2: Pressurized fermentation (have a 1.25" hole in lid of conical)

Future
1: RaspberryPints w/flow meters
2: eBIAB (Boil)
3: eRIMS

Huhh, if a decent cellar/basement/garage could count as equipment I would vote for them. Desperate for space (live in a flat).
Otherwise, I have pretty much everything I'd need BUT one important part is still lacking, and it is a CIP system (again, I'm too confined in terms of space to install one). With it, brewing would become really an undiluted pleasure.

A 3000 watt 240volt induction cooktop. As fast or faster than propane but more precise, quieter, and no propane to buy. Wiring for it is a nonissue since I'm an electrician.

EVERYTHING! I have been out of it since 2012. Had to sell off all of the equipment in the divorce and am finally looking at getting back into it. An E-HERMS with a couple of conicals seems like a huge step up from the ole propane tank, coolers and buckets! :rockin:

It's a long list.

1. Keezer

2. Larger kettles so I can move to all-grain or BIAB

3. Better propane burner

4. A portable brew sculpture raising the brew pot so it'll easily drain into the fementer.

5. A few more kegs of varying sizes

6. Mini CO2 system for charging kegs w/ the mini CO2 cartridges

7. Fermentation chamber/conditioning chamber

8. Stir plate, flasks

Ah, there's a lot more.....

Mostly a 15 gal stainless kettle w/ basket so I can go all grain and do the occasional 10 gal batch.

A bigger ferm chamber so I can rededicate my current one back to keeping bottles/yeast/hops cold.

a 10 gallon good kettle with a better heating system/some kind of electrical mash/brew combo kettle for biab, just a dream till I get more cashflow though....

maybe a decent grainmill.

Shelving and storage. Plus some aesthetic things to upgrade my brew room. Then it will probably be taps for the kegerator.

Not so much obsessing, but I need a new kegerator. My old beverage air is pretty bad-ass, but it's really running poorly, it's loud, it leaks condensation, the magnetic sealing strip is falling a part - it's just time.

Obsessing over the problem but dreading the purchase and trying to figure out if I want to go in another direction ;)

SS electric brewery (kal-clone style) all welded, sanitary tri-clamp, etc. AND a biac setup for a shorter day when pressed for time (or feeling lazy more likely, haha). Now just gotta win that powerball.

OK, I retract my last post - a refractometer would be nice, but not really necessary. I am not obsessing over it or anything.

It's a long list.

1. Keezer

2. Larger kettles so I can move to all-grain or BIAB

3. Better propane burner

4. A portable brew sculpture raising the brew pot so it'll easily drain into the fementer.

5. A few more kegs of varying sizes

6. Mini CO2 system for charging kegs w/ the mini CO2 cartridges

7. Fermentation chamber/conditioning chamber

8. Stir plate, flasks

Ah, there's a lot more.....

I can help with #8! Buy it now and it's one less thing to obsess about :D

Obsessed? Maybe. New Mash Tun and matching HLT would be nice. Problem with that is I just upgraded my HLT so that the Keggle would have a nice coil...Ugh... To be honest, I think I'd rather just have some new badass tires for my 4x4 instead :)

Who am I kidding MASH TUN!!

I want to add more taps to my keezer. I've been eyeing a 6 tap H tower to replace the 4 tap T I have now. One of those taps will be a stout with nitro setup, something else I've been wanting.

I like to have a bigger mash tun too. I like the looks of the Chapman Thermobarrels.

I just need to finish my existing projects and maybe a 20g pot and another burner. With the Coleman xl extreme, I think I could mash 20g worth easy and split batch or partygyle with my existing 15g pot.

Got a Blichmann Top Tier burner for Christmas and it is amazing. So much so that I accidentally boiled off an extra gallon.

That's pretty fast. My LHBS uses one of these for their learn to brew classes and I was impressed with how fast it worked.
http://www.avantcoequipment.com/product/170

I think electric is great for some applications..its just your pitting <20,000 BTU with that unit you linked, against my 210,000 BTU...Its not a fair fight no matter how efficient and new newfangled. I understand the benefits of safety with indoor use and all of that, if that's your direction...I'm just into speed,:D.... so I will always brew outdoors.

First brew day ever for my Father-in-Law yesterday down from Alaska, whom received a brew kit for Christmas so he wanted to see first hand how to brew..We were done start to finish with a 5.5 gallon batch of allgrain Porter in 3:10 from pulling the gear out to clean up and putting it away, and that includes pitching the yeast and installing an airlock. We were pretty much Dilly Dal-liing along as well. He was blown away by the simplicity and speed of it all.

It was cold out so we brought the mash tun in the house to keep it from loosing too much temp and my 26 year old Niece also down from Alaska could not quit saying "It smells so good in here" She wanted to stir the wort each time herself.. She drank one of my home brew with us and her eyes lit up and said "This is Soooo Good!"... I think I hooked her too. Now my father in law may have a Alaska brew buddy..:mug:

As long as were all making beer in the end its all Good.... Right!....Carry on... :)

Brew sculpture
Brewing software
And I would like to replace my Son of Fermenter with a fridge.
Oh, and replace my broken stir plate.

Latest posts

Back