What else to order w/carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mencken

Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking to order a glass carboy to use as my secondary. Do I just need a stopper and a fermentation lock with it, or is there some other contraption I need up top on it? Thanks, and sorry for hte easy question

one of those stick-on thermometers might be helpful, but other than that you've got it all figured out.

You'll be just fine with a stopper and an airlock with the carboy. Just make sure to check with your LHBS to see exactly what size stopper your carboy will need. They're slightly different and it can be a pain realizing that you have the wrong size stopper. Honestly, even tin foil would work through. Some people also get a hose with a large enough diameter to just plug into the top of the carboy as a blowoff tube. Any of those would work for you.

I would get a few stopper, airlocks, etc. They're cheap and good to have around for starters, etc... or if you break one.

but just to throw it out there it is only to be used when empty.

As fas as the blow- off tube.. make SURE you do this. When you get the carboy go to Home depot and pick up a piece of tubing that is wide enough to fit into the neck of the bottle. If you dont, eventually if not immediately, you will have a beer waterfall.

If you are unfamiliar with blow-offs search it.

If this is for your secondary you probably won't need a blow of tube. Usually a #7 Stopper and an airlock and you are good to go. A milk crate wouldn't hurt either.

If you don't already have one, an auto-siphon is handy for transferring from primary to secondary.

Back