What else do you use your bottleing bucket for??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjibbad

Reaction score
I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner but, on my last batch after my wort had cooled I put a large hop/grain bag in the bucket and poured my wort it. Pulled it out and it strained out my hops and sediment!! Then I just opened up the spigot and drained it into my carboy by way of funnel! Great oxygenating and less trube!! Anyone else have uses for their bottling bucket other than bottling??

I use mine for mixing up star-san on brew day. I let my stuff that needs to be sanitized soak in it for a while as the brewing process goes on...

Decided I wanted to try a primary in one, as some guys do it in a spigoted bucket, finding the drain easier to use than an autosiphon. It worked fine, just got an extra lid.

I have used mine as a fermenter in the past also, but I generally try to avoid it. I have had the spigots leak occasionally, and you definitely don't want to deal with that during a fermentation. If you do decide to use it as a fermenter, check the spigot seals thoroughly before you do it...

Mine sits on a shelf and gathers dust. Sometimes I put my 5G better bottle in it for storage. I might bottle 1 batch out of 10 - 15.

*shrug*

I store all my misc equipment in mine (auto siphon, caper, brushes, etc) until I have to bottle something.

My bottling bucket does a lot of double duty, I mix my sanitizer in it, I use it as a mash tun, when I'm chilling a batch, it gets ice and water put in it to run through my chiller, I ferment in it. I'd have to say that my bottling bucket gets used more than any thing else in my brewery right now. Hell its even been used as a serving vessel for mead. Didn't feel like kegging my cyser so I just put it in the bottling bucket and put the whole thing in the fridge and used the drain as a tap lol

I too use mine as a sanitation bucket, fill the bucket measure idophor - fill carboy from bucket and then from carboy back into bucket with misc tools and hoses getting sanitized while I boil. Works real nice having the spigot, and otherwise I would not use it at all.

Mine gathers dust. I think I'll use it as my sani bucket from now on. I don't know why I didnt' think of that.

I use mine to hold pbw for cleaning bottles and stuff, and when its in storage I usually have bags of grain stored in it.

I use mine for sanitizing all the time. I did also one time use it for a primary fermenter, but logistically speaking it's rather tough to use it for that purpose regularly. Oh, and I use it to catch grains when I'm crushing.

i store nuts and bolts and knives in mine. sounds cool when i shake all that stuff up in there.

of course, i also use it for bottling. :mug:

I crush grains into mine. And I recently discovered that I can use it to get collect wort to hit my pre-boil volumes!

Mine accidentally got left outside while I was out of town, it picked up some scratches from being blown around so now it gets used as a yard waste hauler

I put tubing, hydrometer, sample cylinder, racking cane, spoon, wine thief, etc...in it on brewing day fill it with water and a splash of iodophor. I've got a 3 gal bucket that I use to fill the grain bill for a recipe with from my LHBS. They weigh out the exact grain bill so you're not left with selvage to let go stale.

Hasn't been used to bottle since switching to kegs.

I hated bottling. And it made me look neurotic...going around collecting empties at a party, and trying to make sure nobody stuck a cigarette butt into one. I kept a big tub in the garage with clorox solution in it to soa bottles in.

Now it's the Jockey Box...Tap Handle...Self Serve...fresh from the un-light-struck keg. A plastic bottle with a carbonator cap, or a growler if I HAVE to leave the equipment at home.

I put tubing, hydrometer, sample cylinder, racking cane, spoon, wine thief, etc...in it on brewing day fill it with water and a splash of iodophor.

If you put the tubing, etc in first and the iodophor last your tubing might just fill with water before the iodophor is added and the iodophor might never get into that and other water filled areas without a bit of agitation.

I use mine for mixing up star-san on brew day. I let my stuff that needs to be sanitized soak in it for a while as the brewing process goes on...

+1...I keep a few well-cleaned-out milk jugs for storing a couple gallons to use along the way for transfers, etc., and then save the last gallon or so to use during the brew session.

Back