What does your airlock smell like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binkman

Reaction score
At the moment, I'm fermenting a porter with european ale yeast. LHBS was out of the london ale yeast I wanted.

I'm sure it will be tasty, but the airlock right now smells like burned poop. Serves me right for sniffing it.

What are you fermenting and what does it smell like?

Cheers
:mug:

Good question, but I don't use airlocks anymore.

BTW, how do you know what burned poop smells like? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never burned any poop but... It depends. When I have placed my fermenter carboy in the basement, that is, not enclosed, I smell a bread, grain, or beer odor from the airlock. However, I brewed two beers recently and put them in my temp controlled fermenting chamber (chest freezer). When I opened and bent over the freezer the first time to check the smell it singed my nose hairs. It was very acrid and literally stung my nasal passages. I assume that I had inhaled a very high concentration of CO2. The beer turned out just fine.

13 Gallons of my Haus Amber Ale is fermenting in my office at home.

After a week, the smell has tapered off, but the hint of old diapers and various sulfur compounds still lingers.

You wanna brew, you gotta put up with the smell.

;)

I fermented with WY2308 once and it smelled like someone farted in the fridge and shut the door....it was beautiful.

I fermented with WY2308 once and it smelled like someone farted in the fridge and shut the door....it was beautiful.

When SWMBO came downstairs this morning she asked if I had cleaned the cat box yet, implying "why HAVENT you cleaned the cat box yet?" I just proudly pointed at the carboy and said, it's the yeast. She did not share my enthusiasm.

:D

I've never burned any poop but... It depends. When I have placed my fermenter carboy in the basement, that is, not enclosed, I smell a bread, grain, or beer odor from the airlock. However, I brewed two beers recently and put them in my temp controlled fermenting chamber (chest freezer). When I opened and bent over the freezer the first time to check the smell it singed my nose hairs. It was very acrid and literally stung my nasal passages. I assume that I had inhaled a very high concentration of CO2. The beer turned out just fine.

I just had the same nose burning thing happen to me this evening. I had never had this happen so I was pretty shocked at first. The CO2/carbonic acid thing made sense once I read up on it. The guy at the LHBS didn't suggest this as a cause. I guess he thought I was making an APA- Ammonia Pale Ale...

Mine smells like cannibal corpses...oh no, wait that isn't my airlock, it is this thread...

It's a pumpkin ale and right now it smells incredibly sweet. Probably one of the sweetest smelling. Hope it turns out ok.

Latest posts

Back