What does yeast trub taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
Tasting a somewhat carbonated sierra today. Overall, it's good, but not as good as my first brew. Both have kind of a funny aftertaste though, and I'm wondering if it is either the bitterness of the hops, or if it could be left over yeasties? Its slightly sour/bitter, and almost grainy. I can really taste it on the side of my tongue after a big gulp...

It may be green beer. Are you drinking bottled beer, or kegged beer? If kegged, is it the first 3-5 pulls from the keg?

Gotta include more info otherwise it's really hard to diagnose your situation.

Good luck!

tongue.gif

If you're tasting it on the sides of your tongue, then it's a sour taste. This can be an off flavor due to just a few things.

If you want to know what yeast really tastes like. Pour yourself a glass of the yeast cake at the bottom of your fermenter after you rack your beer out of it. I took a drink on a dare once a few moons ago. It tastes like, well, yeast. Very velvety mouthfeel that leaves a coating in your entire mouth. After that experience though, I can detect a yeast taste in beer even with my nose plugged.

So what are the most common things that can produce a sour off flavor in your beer?

Sounds like a trifecta to me.

Grainy can point to tannins.
The bitter can be a result of high sulfate meets Alpha.
And the sour can be some Lactic tinge.

Or it could be green still.

Trub taste like cinnimmon toast crunch. Don't believe me? Try a spoonful.

So you're sayin I should dump all my stock in cinnamon toast crunch, eh? LOL!

If you're tasting it on the sides of your tongue, then it's a sour taste. This can be an off flavor due to just a few things.

Not intending to sound snooty or anything, but this old taste chart is really not accurate, and has been out of date for decades. There are currently five recognized "flavors". The fifth is umami, and is most often described as "savory", and comes from glutamate. Also, the entire surface of the front half of your tongue is pretty much equally sensitive to all five flavors. A good read that covers this and all kinds of good info is Randy Mosher's Tasting Beer.

Again, not trying to come off as stuffy, but it's time for this idea of a "tongue map" to die already.

Back