What does this recipe make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbsdizzo

Reaction score
Molasses Beer
1 lb. dark molasses (10 liquid ounces)
2 gallons of water
2 bay leaves
1 cake active yeast
1 ounce dried hops

Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil & add the hops. Boil for an hour to create a strong hop tea. Pour 4 quarts of lukewarm water into a crock. Stir in the molasses, strain the hop tea, and add it to the mixture. Allow the mixture to cool to room tempature. Dissolve the cake yeast in a cup of warm water and pour into the mixture. Cover with a plastic wrap held in place with a large rubber band. Place the crock in a warm place, but where the tempature won't exceed 75*F.

The mixture will begin working by the next day and you'll hear it bubbling. Once the bubbling stops, usually in 4-5 days, siphon off the beer with a siphon tube, bieng careful not to stir up the sediment on the bottom. Bottle using new, strong bottles. Regardless, Don't siphon off the beer before it stops working or you may explode the bottles. You can drink it in a few day, but it's best aged.

Bay leaves? :confused:

WTF?

On the list of flavorings I might tolerate or possibly even like in my beer, bay leaves would be very, very far down the list.

Do you have any good recipes? That would be easy for a beginner without a million dollar setup could do.

lmao.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong but he probably isn't shipping to USMCRUZ because real brewers wouldn't use a bay leaf. That was the dead giveaway!;)

cbsdizzo said:
Molasses Beer
2 gallons of water
2 bay leaves
1 cake active yeast
1 ounce dried hops

Well it's not beer thats for sure. No grain at all..... perhaps a very terrible bay leaf wine of some sort.

This is actually worse then that one we saw some months back... remember the guy who wanted to make something with alcohol in it.... wanted to use sugar and bakers yeast.... syran wrap with a pin hole I believe he was going to try held by a rubber band.... everyone thought it was a joke.

By the way, with the little anger that was stired by using a Marine phrase here I would hope the book industry doesn't have thier address very available.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1402730993/qid=1146861480/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/102-0233062-7472967?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have the book "The joy of home winemaking" by Terry Garey?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0380782278/qid=1146862637/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/102-0233062-7472967?n=283155

She actually gives a recipe where bay leaves could be one of the ingrediants.

pg. 163
Basic Herb or Flower Recipie
--------------------------
4-6 cups packed lightly, of herbs or flowers
1 Gal water
3 lbs sugar or 3 1/2 lbs honey
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/8 tsp tannin
no pectic enzyme
3 tsps acid blend or juice from 2 lemons
1 Campden tabled, crushed
1 packet champange or Montrachet yeast

For all those who know wine, this appears to be a basic herb wine.

Last edited by a moderator:
cbsdizzo said:
Molasses Beer
2 gallons of water
2 bay leaves
1 cake active yeast
1 ounce dried hops

Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil & add the hops. Boil for an hour to create a strong hop tea. Pour 4 quarts of lukewarm water into a crock. Stir in the molasses, strain the hop tea, and add it to the mixture. Allow the mixture to cool to room tempature. Dissolve the cake yeast in a cup of warm water and pour into the mixture. Cover with a plastic wrap held in place with a large rubber band. Place the crock in a warm place, but where the tempature won't exceed 75*F.

The mixture will begin working by the next day and you'll hear it bubbling. Once the bubbling stops, usually in 4-5 days, siphon off the beer with a siphon tube, bieng careful not to stir up the sediment on the bottom. Bottle using new, strong bottles. Regardless, Don't siphon off the beer before it stops working or you may explode the bottles. You can drink it in a few day, but it's best aged.

Dear Lord! One pound of molasses and two gallons of water? And bay leaves? What kind of prison hooch is this?

http://www.militarywebcom.org/profiles/cbsdizzo/

cbsdizzo's Profile
[ currently offline ]
Visit Website• Name: steven hueston
• Birthday: September 22, 1987 (Age: 18)

Entries Written: 0 entries
Comments Written: 0 comments
Signup Date: February 24, 2006
Last Login: February 24, 2006

My Interests: (1)
sdfsd

cbsdizzo's Blogs
Untitled 0 entries, 0 comments

Can we legally answer his questions?

Back