What does Rye add to a beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jknapp

Reaction score
I'm thinking about brewing an IPA this weekend and I've stumbled accross the Rye IPA recipes. I'm intrigued, but the thing is, I don't know what the Rye adds.

Can someone let me know?

Thanks!

A good recipe for rye is Denny's Rye IPA. It's very good. I find rye to give a slick mouthfeel as well as the spicey taste. If you mash it have some rice hulls because it gets rather sticky.

I highly recommend that you hunt down a bottle of Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye, in the name of research! A wonderfully complex combination of rye spiciness and hop bitterness/aroma/flavor. It's hard to describe rye flavor -- how would you explain rye bread to someone who hasn't tasted it?? Try it!

Go to the best liquor store/beer store in your area and ask them for anything with rye in it. Chances are they have a Rye PA, Rye IPA, or Roggenbier. I really like the flavor and I want to do a Rye PA or Rye IPA next spring.

Eric

I highly recommend that you hunt down a bottle of Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye, in the name of research! A wonderfully complex combination of rye spiciness and hop bitterness/aroma/flavor. It's hard to describe rye flavor -- how would you explain rye bread to someone who hasn't tasted it?? Try it!

That is a fantastic beer. Find it if you can.

Eric

+1 on Hop Rod Rye, one of my favorite beers out there. I really like the taste the rye adds to the beer, I need to brew one of these soon

Hop Rod Rye is a great beer, but if you want a cleaner way to discover what Rye adds I suggest you try a Hoss from The Great Divide Brewery. It is a Rye Lager so you don't get the overpowering effect of hops as you do with an IPA.

Hop Rod Rye is like drinking liquid candy. It's unbelievable. And wouldn't be the same without the rye. If you've tried rye bread, then you know exactly the flavor that it adds.

Back