what does RDWHAHB mean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krc333

Reaction score
Also, I keep seeing people mention using a “starter” when using the White Labs yeast and I’m not sure what that is. I’m on my 5th batch of extract brewing and I always use White Labs (all my local bew shop has) and have never used that and all my beers seem to start fermenting within the proper time. I’m assuming its just a yeast starter but does it do anything else and should I be using it?

Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Homebrew.

Now, prepare for about 100 posts of ridiculous acronyms to follow. :D

A starter is a small amount of wort, usually made with DME, that you use to increase the yeast cell count before pitching into your beer.

No, but seriously, it means "Relax, Don't worry. Have a homebrew". Its sort of a Homebrewing catch frase made popular by Papazian in "The Joy of Homebrewing".

Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Homebrew.

Now, prepare for about 100 posts of ridiculous acronyms to follow. :D

A starter is a small amoutn of wort, usually made with DME, that you use to increase the yeast cell count before pitching into your beer.

No soup for you!

Relax Don't worry have a home brew.

A starter is a way to grow more yeast before putting them into the wort. The starter helps you to have a healthier ferment with less off-flavors and chances of attenuation problems.

Using a yeast starter is good practice when using liquid yeast. Check out mrmalty.com- he has a "pitching calculator" to help you figure out the optimum amount of yeast to pitch in each batch. Using a yeast starter often decreases lag time, but it's not the primary reason. The reason I use a yeast starter is to make sure I have enough healthy yeast. Stressed yeast can lead to off-flavors.

Talk about missing the obvious, I’ve only read that statement in his book about 200 times. Thanks for the answer on the start as well, I was afraid (not that worried because all of my beers have been really good so far) that I was missing a step.

Using a starter means to go take the starter out of your car (preferably a 1976 Gremlin, or at least from a Ford Fiesta) and steep it with 3 gallons of water, the blood of a virgin goat, and your yeast at 180 degrees before adding it to your wort.

RDWHAHB: Ream a Drunk With a Heavy Albino Ham Bone

I was also wondering about what RDWHAHB meant...cool now we know.

Try asking New Jersey DMV
:cross:

RDWHAHB_01.jpg

Back