What does open fermentation do to the beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeapingLamb

Reaction score
hey guys,

I've been trying to read up on open fermentation and get some more information on it. I read that it is quite beneficial for the yeast in wheat beers to do an open fermentaiton. I have a wit fermenting that I left the lid open on my bucket during primary fermentation and only had a sheet of cheese cloth over it to prevent dust and insects to land in my beer ... the smell was just heavenly :D so I think the beer will taste great.

My question thou:

What is actually happening during the open fermentaiton? is the yeast more active due to the lowered pressure and added oxygen contact? Or is it less active since I had to rouse it up twice? The only thing I came accross on the web really just said and I am paraphrasing

"Open fermentation good makes beer taste mmmmmhmmm"

I don't know if there are any scientific journals out there that you guys could refer me to to get a more scientific explanation on the mmmmhmm part and how it becomes mmmhmm.

Thanks in advance
Cheers :mug:

Back