What does infected beer taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzie1701

Reaction score
I am on my 11th all grain brew. Am a little concerned with this one. I don't think there was any sign of visual infection. Used 3068 yeast. Took about 3 weeks for the krausen to drop. Fermented at around 68f. Won't lie by the time I got this in the primary we were tipsy. Really tipsy. Not sure on sanitation but think it was good. I'm not a huge wheat beer drinker so it may taste fine but it's not the greatest. Has a bit of a weird after taste. Not salty but different. Maybe exactly how it's supposed to taste so that's why I'm asking what does infected beer taste like. Biggest concern is I harvested the yeast so don't want to ruin my next batch but then again I maybe tasting beer that taste just fine just isn't for me. There is no sour taste at all and that's what I would expect from an infected beer. Also it's only 3 weeks old and the first pint from a keg with gelatin added so could just be the taste of sediment and dead yeast and I'm worrying to much.

It depends on the infection. Pedio infections taste buttery, while other infections run the gamut from sour (lacto or aceto) to "dirty socks" to "burnt plastic" to "baby vomit" (butyric acid). Some are mild, and some are not.

I lost 11 gallons to an infected yeast starter, with 11 gallons of "band aid beer".

I brewed an IPA well two with an infected rehashed strain of 001 and it tasted like a Belgian all phenols but I didn't know at the time also the starter for both beers had the weirdest ugly looking krausen on it that should've tipped me off.

It depends on the infection. Pedio infections taste buttery, while other infections run the gamut from sour (lacto or aceto) to "dirty socks" to "burnt plastic" to "baby vomit" (butyric acid). Some are mild, and some are not.

I lost 11 gallons to an infected yeast starter, with 11 gallons of "band aid beer".

Hmm I don't get any of these. Get a almost over ripe fruit taste. I'm thinking the fermentation temps and yeast strain maybe more to blame then infection. I don't really like wheat ales and made it for a buddy that loves them so I'll get him to taste it and let me know what he thinks. Maybe it taste great just not something I like but definitely none of the tastes listed above.

Back