What does "green" beer taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnr993

Reaction score
so, like any good newbie I've been reading the brewing books by Palmer and Dave Miller and they both talk about beer tasting "green" after 1-2 weeks in the bottle (ie not ready).

I'm wondering if any of you more experienced brewers could describe this taste? Is it more of an aftertaste? obvious or subtle?

Thanks!

Well, for me it's the fact that the beer's flavors are a bit muddled between the malts & hops. Nothing stands out as clearly defined as it would be when it's properly carbed & conditioned. When it does get to the point where the flavor complexities are the way you intended, that's the point where it's no longer green to me...

Well, for me it's the fact that the beer's flavors are a bit muddled between the malts & hops. Nothing stands out as clearly defined as it would be when it's properly carbed & conditioned. When it does get to the point where the flavor complexities are the way you intended, that's the point where it's no longer green to me...

unionrdr, do you ever find Palmer's description of the presence of acetaldehyde to hold true? That is, "a flavor of green apples or freshly cut pumpkin?"

This ^

It is beer dependent IMO.

A blonde or pale ale is "green" for a shorter period of time (usually) than a darker, more complex beer.

I have an Northern English Brown that has been in bottles for 6 wks and the bottle that I opened 2 nights ago is still not quite ready. The roasted malt / raisin flavors are still a little overpowering.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Jungbuket is a combination of aldehydic, sulfidic and possibly diacetyl flavors/aromas. It is a bit disgusting, nauseating, unpleasant. Probably the best way to appreciate what it is, and this will depend on the beer, is to taste every few days. For a time you won't find the beer very nice. Then one day you will. Try to remember what you didn't like the last time you tasted. That is Jungbuket (green beer flavor/aroma).

unionrdr, do you ever find Palmer's description of the presence of acetaldehyde to hold true? That is, "a flavor of green apples or freshly cut pumpkin?"

Yes, when sometimes the temp in the fermenter would get a bit high. But if it's caught soon enough, it can be gotten rid of by
1) giving the beer 3-7 days after FG is reached to allow the yeast to clean up by-products of fermentation, which acetaldehyde is.
2) carb & condition time in the bottles has also been shown to help further clear it up in my experiences.
But once again, only if it's not too prevalent to begin with. The yeasties can only do so much...

Back