What does cold break precipitate look like.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weconway

Reaction score
I just brewed my first lager (NB Oktoberfest). I took the recommendation of my LHBS owner and used a 6 gal. glass carboy for the primary.

I managed to siphon almost all the wort into the carboy without sucking up any of the hops, but after everything settled after aeration and yeast pitching there was a thick layer of sediment on the bottom. It almost looked like yeast, except it was a more greenish brown color (vs. light tan). Is this cold break precipitate? I racked 90* wort onto 35* water in the carboy (2.5 gallons of each) so I'm hoping I get a good cold break and clear beer.

Will I have problems leaving it in there for the month-long primary stage? Methinks not, but I just want to know what I'm looking at.

Thanks,

William

well first off you really should get your wort to below 80 before racking. it ill lower the risk of oxidation. but i think you still good on that point. that "green stuff" is probably just hops resins that made it into your siphon. nothing to worry about. enjoy your beer.

Yea you can leave it in there no problem. Yeast can munch on it for some nutrients.

I googled some pictures, and it is absolutely cold break setted at the bottom of the fermenter.

This is my fourth batch. I learn a TON every time. Thanks for the help.

William

Back