What Does BRY Acronym Stand For?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protos

Die Schwarzbier Polizei
Reaction score
There are BRY95, BRY96 and Lalbrew BRY97 yeasts (the only number designation in the Lalbrew range).

Does anyone happen to know what the BRY acronym stands for? The "Y" is almost certainly "Yeast" but what the other two letters might mean?

alot of times these referred to the code of the source, and the number was the sample/isolate number in the yeast bank.

unfortunately the source could be either a specific name, an alias/codename, or a location, i.e. Bruerie (on) Rhine.

you should ping Northern brewer, he knows alot of this stuff.

alot of times these referred to the code of the source, and the number was the sample/isolate number in the yeast bank.

unfortunately the source could be either a specific name, an alias/codename, or a location, i.e. Bruerie (on) Rhine.

you should ping Northern brewer, he knows alot of this stuff.
I searched and found the "BRY" prefix associated with Siebel Institute yeast farm or lab.
I found a BRY-96 & 97.
Perhaps it is a naming or cataloging standard for Siebel

Yeah, BRY-xx are Siebel codes, I assume it stands for BRewing Yeast but never had that officially confirmed. All their brewing strains seem to have BRY codes though!

However Lallemand BRY-97 is not an official Siebel code, it's a made-up name because it's descended from BRY-96

“BRY means BRewing Yeast. All yeasts from the culture collection of the Siebel Institute of Technology start with BRY.

Regards

Sylvie

Sylvie Van Zandycke Ph.D.

Director of Sales and Marketing Yeast/Bacteria/Nutrients | Lallemand Brewing”

Screenshot_20230117-171445_Gmail.jpg

It seems that Sylvie has better memory than Molly
damy-derutsya.gif

If I were Molly, I wouldn't confess to the customers I "forget" anything related to my professional expertise 😂

Thank you gents, the mystery is solved

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back