What Does Brandy Taste Like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STStunner

Reaction score
Brandy is one of the few alcoholic beverages that I've never gotten to sample. I've had whiskey, tequila, vodka, run and gin. I know that brandy is simply distilled wine, but I imagine that since it's aged in barrels for long periods of time similar to whiskey that the taste would be quite a bit different from your standard bottle of wine. I could just go buy a bottle to taste for myself, but when I purchase alcohol I generally prefer to spend my money on a nice bottle of craft beer or cider, rather than risking it on something that I may not enjoy drinking. So does anyone have any opinions on brandy? Tasting notes? Does it have the nutty or oak barrel characteristics that are often prevalent in whiskey? Besides the higher alcohol taste, how different is it compared to wine? Is it worth trying or spending money on for someone who isn't a big fan of most varieties of hard liquor?

To generalize it, it tastes like winey whisky. I like it, but don't buy good stuff. If I buy brandy, it's Christian brothers. I cook with it. Or make mulled wine. If I spend good money, it's either on wine or port.

Brandy tastes just as much like wine as whiskey tastes like beer. Thus, in my opinion, they taste nothing alike. You can tell that it was made from grapes, but just like with whiskey, the color comes entirely from the barrels it's aged in. Grappa is another distilled beverage made from wine (specifically from pomace).

I've bought brandy of various levels and I have to say that you can REALLY tell the difference between cheap brandy, moderately priced brandy, and expensive brandy. I think that most of the stuff put out by Christian Brothers and E&J are nasty, while they do have a few "passable" brandies. Not all Cognacs are going to taste good (since Cognac is a region of France where that type of brandy is made, just like Champagne is a region of France where champagne is made), but you have a better chance of getting something good with cognac in my personal opinion.

Of course this is all personal taste, but yeah...

The best way to find out is to go to a bar with a large menu and to order a glass of brandy. If not that, just buy a gift sized/travel sized bottle of Cognac. You can find the more famous brands such as Hennessy and Remy Martin in 50ml sized bottles for $5 or so. Cheaper than a craft beer at a restaurant or bar.

I've had a few; none I cared for. They all tasted like really, really bad whiskey to me. But maybe I'm biased; I love whiskey.

My mom loves the stuff.

It tastes like brandy. Go and buy an "airplane bottle" of something pretty good, you'll spend $3-5, then you'll know what it tastes like.

Other than the alcohol burn, it's like trying to describe red to a blond person.

*EDIT* Meant "blind" person, but blond is funny.

Last edited:
I'm sure she is, got any pics?

This is the most recent one I have of her, before she went back to the pen again.

a98760_911-call_2-ugly-mugshot.jpg

Most of the brandy I've purchased recently is for cocktails (wifey loves a good Sidecar), and sipping neat, seems a bit too sweet. But, recently purchased Asbach 3 yr old german brandy - tastes a bit drier, and I think will be more to my liking sipping straight, while being cheap enough I'll use it in a mixed drink.

Back