What does a case of beer cost you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegcitybrewer

Reaction score
I seem to read frequently people saying that you aren't saving money by homebrewing, but that hasn't been my experience. In fact thats the EXACT reason I got into homebrewing. I know that alcohol in general is cheaper in the US than it is up here in Canada but I'm just curious what and average case of beer (lets say BMC just to be consistant) costs in your state/province/country (assuming you're outside of North America).

Also, what does the average 5 gal brew cost you just for comparison?

For this thread lets just talk about per batch costs and not equiptment/startup costs.

I'm in Manitoba and we've got pretty high beer prices even for Canada.
for a 24 of bud after taxes its 45 dollars.

for 5 gal it usually costs me about 35-45 bucks all in, but I usually brew English Ales or Cream ales or the like, no high gravity Hop bombs so that brings my costs down.

Let me know your experiences!

Average 5 gal batch is roughly $50 USD. 24 pack of bud out the door is $20. If I'm reusing yeast, not making a yeast starter and doing a session beer its closer to 40$ for 5 gal. Overall 35-75$.

Bud is usually $18 a case U.S here in the Atlanta area. I can get Yuengling for $17 at BJs member club.
All grain buying my grains in bulk a 5 gallon batch runs about $16 depending on what yeast.

30 pack of PBR hangs either side of $16, 24 pack of Bud is about $15. My beer costs about $12 to $20 a case depending on what I brew.

Last edited:
I just so happen to have a recent receipt and sales ad from my grocery store. Now the receipt doesn't show I had some hops and adjuncts in my fridge from a previous purchase, but I'm also not making Bud Light....

Now that $33.56 is going to get me about 5 1/2 gallons. So math...

128 (ounces in a gallon)
x5.5 (gallons)
704 ounces

704 / 144 (ounces in a 12-pac)
4.88, 12-pacs in a batch

$33.56 / 4.88

$6.88 per 12-pac of homebrew.

So, yeah...I'd say it's a money saver.

I haven't bought a case of BMC in a while, but it's usually somewhere around the $17/$18 per 24.

Here lately I've been spending too much time online and started buying these expensive beers. You know, $7 for a bomber, or $20 for a 4pack type of thing :fro:

Usually my bill from my LHBS for grain, yeast, hops, and a few misc things is around $30 for a 5 gallon batch. Of course I don't factor in the cost of my fridge, kegs, equipment, time, etc :cross:

Here in SoCal I can buy a 30-cube of 12 oz Bud Light cans for $20-25 US. I can also brew 32 1/2 liter bottles of whatever I want for $20-25 US. Once you pay for the equipment and if you brew all-grain (even not buying bulk) you can brew cheaper than you can buy.

Kevin B.

I'm blown away. I Suppose I should also state that when I brew 5gal its not american gal it UK gal so thts 6gal batches but that doesnt make much of a difference. still can't believe your prices, that is amazing. Even good beer like Sierra Nevada is 7.99 for a six pack. those would probably be $2.50-3.00 per beer here. Even local craft beer is $25 bucks for a 12.

Not sure it's equivalent to compare homebrew cost to a case of BMC. Few of us buy BMC by the case and even fewer brew the style.

For me it was always pretty much break even. A case of craft ran $50 to $90 depending on style and ingredients came in pretty close for similar style.

I didn't get in to this to brew BMC, because it's cheap and I can get it free. I got into this because I love beer and I found my other hobbies lacking a craftsman aspect once I finished rebuilding and rewiring all of my guitars. They're perfect, for me, and I see no need to pursue it any further.

That said, once I jump to 5 gallon batches, I'm saving money for sure.

Yeah, but we should really be comparing a batch of homebrew to 8 of those Sierra nevada six packs instead of BL. So, 7.99 x 8 = $64 for the SN, your cost is close to 1/2

I just so happen to have a recent receipt and sales ad from my grocery store. Now the receipt doesn't show I had some hops and adjuncts in my fridge from a previous purchase, but I'm also not making Bud Light....

Now that $33.56 is going to get me about 5 1/2 gallons. So math...

128 (ounces in a gallon)
x5.5 (gallons)
704 ounces

704 / 144 (ounces in a 12-pac)
4.88, 12-pacs in a batch

$33.56 / 4.88

$6.88 per 12-pac of homebrew.

So, yeah...I'd say it's a money saver.

Hey, sorry I think there was some misunderstanding, I only used bmc as an example because it's readily available pretty much everywhere and i was just using it as a benchmark for costs. I sure as hell didn't get into brewing to make bmc either, but originally a big factor was cost reduction. Now I'm just completely addicted to brewing but that's another story.

Again, bmc is just a benchmark for beer costs

Busch Light - 18.99/30 pack = $0.63/12 oz beer

Decent craft - 11.99/6 pack = ~$2.00/12 oz beer

Homebrew extract @ 5.5% and light on hops - ~$30 for 48 = $0.63/12 oz beer

Homebrew extract @ 5.9% + lots of hops - ~$50 for 48 = $1.04/12 oz beer.

Next brew will be BIAB and I can really cut those costs down... malt extract is expensive ****.

Pretty much the only beer I buy is good craft beer and when I go to the bottle shop it usually costs me about 32 for about six bottles... So brewing is definitely cheaper.

I know you said to compare BMC but I brew beer because I prefer craft beer. So I will compare craft beer. Here in Utah a case of craft beer will run you about $25 for a case of the typical 4% abv beers. An average 5 gallon batch costs me less than $40 even if I brew an IPA. So by brewing I save on average $5/case which adds up quickly. I didn't get into brewing to save money but it just so happens that I am. Maybe one day the savings will make up for the cost of equipment.

I just bought a 48 pack of Kirkland light from Costco for $21!

But it's not anywhere even relatively semi partially close to as good as homebrew.

I'm finding I make most batches for around $30. Though I make mostly pale ales.

I get about 25-26 22 oz bottles per 5 gallon batch. When I buy beer in the store I usually get 22 oz bottles and they run between $4 up to $10, so $5 bottles is $125 in beer cost. To make my own, a batch will be between $25 to $45, plus if I need bottles, another $25 for a case of bottles.. at worst case I am still $55 to the good. :ban:

Hey, sorry I think there was some misunderstanding, I only used bmc as an example because it's readily available pretty much everywhere and i was just using it as a benchmark for costs. I sure as he'll didn't get into brewing to make bmc either, but originally a big factor was cost reduction. Now I'm just completely addicted to brewing but that's another story.

Again, bmc is just a benchmark for beer costs

Off-topic, pointless story.....

I was in Canada years ago. I rolled into Vancouver pretty late and all I wanted was a Coors Light and a hotel room. Went to a 7-11 (biggest one I had ever seen, BTW)...no beer?!?! Guy told be to go to a bar. "I don't want to go to a bar" I said, "I just want to take some back to my hotel room". He just grinned. So I went to a bar. **confusing out-of-towner conversation with bartender** he hands me a six, I hand him a five-spot. He examined the odd paper while I examined the weird cans.

Fun Fact: Coors Light is an import in Canada.

While back I figured I could make Bells 2-Hearted clone for roughly 1/3 the price purchased by 6-packs. $1.50 per bottle vs $.50 per bottle Homebrew. And so far I've had very good luck making a beer similar to 2-Hearted.

That's buying grain in sacks and harvesting/repitching yeast.

Yeah, but we should really be comparing a batch of homebrew to 8 of those Sierra nevada six packs instead of BL. So, 7.99 x 8 = $64 for the SN, your cost is close to 1/2

Exactly!

Score another point for homebrew!

I'm pretty sure the only time I buy commercial anymore is for a comparison to my clones....or when I need the bottles.

I didn't realize that craft beer was priced relatively similar to what it is here. I mean it's still cheaper but I just it would be about 1.5 times the cost of bmc, as it is here. Seems ****ty beer is WAY more expensive in Canada and good beer is only marginally more expensive. Good to know!

Still, it costs me about 0.67/13 oz homebrew and about 2.50/12 local craft. So I save huge, even with equiptment costs.

Most 28 pack cases of BMC can be had around here, Western NY, for less than $20, +tax and bottle deposit. 30 pack cans can be had for a couple dollars less.

My typical Pale Ale house brew runs me about $25 for a 5 gallon batch.(10 lbs grain, 1-2 oz bittering hops and dry yeast.) I brew using a lot of my own hops to keep the costs down. It is cheaper to brew my house pale ale, but I do still buy a ton of the BMC stuff for friends, relatives and get together's.

Average 5 gallon batch for me is about $20, unless I am making an IPA then add about $6-8 for the extra hops and malt extract(equipment limitation).

This can go round and round what with including equipment costs or viewing them as expenses that can be reclaimed when/if you leave the hobby or upgrade- etc etc and that cab generally be a tipping point for the yes/no cheaper question as well as what type of beer you're comparing to.

Without equipment, but including propane and buying RO water, I'm probably $30-$50 per 11 gallon batch, depending on recipe. Depending on the recipe, I get 2-3 batches out of a 50 lbs sack @ $45/sack, add some specialty malts at $1/lbs, hops, harvested yeast, propane, water. I tallied my SMaSH clone of Anchor's Liberty Ale from the latest BYO mag, and I was around $35 for 11 gallons.

I can find (sometimes) a 6 pak of Dogfish Head 60 min IPA for $11.99, so $48 for a case. It costs me about $32 to make two cases (48 beers) so for most craft beer, I think you save quite a bit in the long run!
I did just make a 5 gallon batch of Fizzy Yellow Beer for $27 (had to purchase everything) that is somewhat close to BMC beer, that's a little more expensive, but tastes much better IMO.
Didn't really get into this to save money, but to have fun making BEER!

I tallied my SMaSH clone of Anchor's Liberty Ale from the latest BYO mag, and I was around $35 for 11 gallons.

totally off topic, but how did the liberty ale turn out? I've been eyeing a couple of those recipes and I'm just curious how lose they come to the real deal?

...That's buying grain in sacks and harvesting/repitching yeast.

True Dat on the yeast. I have found that freezer-ranching yeast (vs buying a new tube) is the most consistent money saver on a batch of brew, easily saving a good $6 to $8 a 5gal batch. Unless of course you use dry yeasts, though in some cases those are getting into $4/pack territory.

Buying hops in bulk is also a big saver, depending on style of course. Can easily save a good $3-4 on a pale, $6-8 on an IPA, maybe $12-15 on a DIPA. Also all you need for storage is a freezer.

AG is cheaper than extract, yes (assuming your mash efficiencies are like >50%). But I don't buy grains in bulk. For me (and the amount I brew, and the space I have) the hassle of storing mounds of grain to save perhaps $5 per batch is not worthwhile. Also means I haven't had to buy a mill.

And I think of "saving money by brewing" the same as I think of "saving money by fishing." If I was happy with frozen tilapia or some other s**t-sandwich fish, sure it'd be cheaper to go to the grocery store. But with California halibut a good $25/lb at the fish market and with the crazy prices spiny lobster go for, why not own a small boat and I have the product as fresh as I want?

totally off topic, but how did the liberty ale turn out? I've been eyeing a couple of those recipes and I'm just curious how lose they come to the real deal?

I like it a lot. I don't think it's quite the same, but that may well be my process and not the recipe. Astoundingly cloudy, but a very satisfying pale ale. And the 1 week to keg was a bonus for my poor pipeline.

at least 20$ canadian for the crapiest 12 pack i can find.

i can brew a corny keg full and and 12 pack bottles for 16-20$ if im using harvested yeast which i do as much as possible.

in soviet Canada, beer drinks you

I started brewing for few reasons:
To make beer
To learn more about beer and the brew process
to extend my wine making hobby to beer
to have beer I like to drink, cheaper than it is to buy
The beer I usually buy is
SN $16.99 /12
Saranac $14.99 /12
Browns $9.99 /6

My last (first and only so far) batch of pale ale,
Kit-$42 and gave me 50 12 oz bottles =$.84 a bottle
SN $16.99 for 12= $1.42 a bottle

Mine $42.00 for 50
SN $70.79 for 50

I did not take into account tax or bottle deposit.
Since I already had all the equipment from wine making I dont need to factor any of the equipment since I already own it.
Just like with my wine making, I would not continue if I was spending my time to lose money. I can do that betting on the golf course.

What is this bottle deposit that people keep talking about? You have to pay for your bottles?

Yeah, every bottle that is sold with drinks in it has a $.05 deposit on it that you get back when you return them to the store.

Forced recycling!

What is this bottle deposit that people keep talking about? You have to pay for your bottles?

Some states charge 5 cents a bottle or can. People then return the cans to the supermarket and get the 5 cents back. It encourages recycling/cuts down on litter in cities.

A 5 gallon batch costs around 10-15$ for grain/hops/yeast/salts/starsan/pbw. But i buy everything, and everything, in bulk. Add a few dollars for propane. For an average gravity. The cheapest BMC is a 24 of Busch (well 18 tall boys, same diff) for 12$. So thats about 24$ for 5 gallons. So its the same after utility costs, etc, and doesnt count for equipment costs, but I brew once or twice a week, so those get spread out.

It's a few hundred dollars per batch if we take cost of labor into the equation. If not, about $26 US for 10G of a 7% Belgian.

Some states charge 5 cents a bottle or can. People then return the cans to the supermarket and get the 5 cents back. It encourages recycling/cuts down on litter in cities.

A 5 gallon batch costs around 10-15$ for grain/hops/yeast/salts/starsan/pbw. But i buy everything, and everything, in bulk. Add a few dollars for propane. For an average gravity. The cheapest BMC is a 24 of Busch (well 18 tall boys, same diff) for 12$. So thats about 24$ for 5 gallons. So its the same after utility costs, etc, and doesnt count for equipment costs, but I brew once or twice a week, so those get spread out.

Not same diff!

It takes me approx. 4 mins to consume a 12 oz Busch Light if I'm taking my sweet time.

On the other hand it takes me about 6 minutes to finish a 16 oz tall boy. That additional 2 mins makes all the difference in flavor.

As it warms, the Busch Light tends to lose some of the heavy aluminum flavor which really, is the best part about drinking it.

I'm around $18-20 for my session beers, $20-25 for regular (1.055-65), and $35-40 for big IIPAs. All 5 gallon batches - actually I get around 5.5 gallons in my kegs fwiw. U.S. Dollars that is..

Steve da sleeve

I don't often buy anything larger than a 6-pack since it is so bloody expensive even for the cheap stuff, usually paying about $2.25/bottle+$0.10/bottle for deposit so around $60 at the end of the day here. A batch of homebrew on the other hand is usually $20 for me, malt is about a buck a pound, closer to $3/lb for speciality malt. Though I use dry yeast and haven't done a whole lot of hop heavy beer recently.

Back