What do you use when you squeeze BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

MikeCo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I use a ratchet pulley with a step ladder to lift. Then I squezze using insulated rubber gloves. I also use a large stainless colander with the rubber gloves when doing stovetop batches.

zacster

Reaction score
I use the storage bin for my equipment with an inverted stainless bowl and a cookie sheet angled down from the bowl inside the bin. I put the bag at the top of the cookie sheet and use a pot lid to press down. The wort collects in the bin and I then pour it all back into the pot. The wort isn't so hot that I need gloves at this point but it is too hot to use my hands to squeeze. I get great efficiency this way.

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm only on BIAB batch #4; today I let the bag drain out for about 10 minutes, then lowered it onto an oven rack on my BK. Then I used the lid from my kettle to squish the heck out of the bag. With 10g strike on a 13lb grain bill, I netted 9 gallons of wort. Once the bag is squished I use the pulley to lift it just high enough so I can swing it over into a waiting homer bucket to cool before dumping out. Letting the bag drain out for 10 minutes really minimized the spillover I've gotten the last few brews.

Reaction score
I hoist the bag above the kettle, then I use a ~3' length of rope which I loop around the bag and pull the ends apart to squeeze out the goodness. I do this several times at various positions on the bag to get as much liquid out as possible. Great workout for the chest muscles and tunes up my skills with a garrote just in case.

Brew_Bro

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After trying various methods, now I hoist the bag and let it gradually drain while I kick off the boil. Once the drain has slowed to a drip I'll hold the top and give the lower end a spin to wring out a bit more. Never had an astringency issue, at least thus far.

odie

Reaction score
my bag hangs over the kettle while I'm heating to boil. After a while I will give it a few squeezes with my hands and toss the grains to the chickens.

UdonPete

Reaction score
Bottom line, as someone once said, is to squeeze like your life depends on it - get all that goodness out of the grains and watch the efficiency go up

wepeeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used to squeeze the bag as soon as I removed it from the kettle, but I've stopped. I usually let it drain for 10 min or so, then squeeze. Toss the grain in the woods.

lautzki

Reaction score
I just slab an oven rack on top of the kettle, lift the bag on top of the rack and use the kettle lid to squeeze the **** out of the bag with all my weight.

Alan Reginato

Reaction score
I lift the bag and sparge with 1 L/Kg of malt, with room temperature water. I add this step just to get grains cold enough to hand squeeze. Asides, I add the FWH hops. Works for me.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I string up my strainer basket with my brain bag in it over the brewpot using a carribeaner and rope, hung from a ladder. I press down on the bag to squeeze with a cake pan until it's dry. It works great, but pressing on the grain bag forces it through the dime sized holes in the strainer basket which is starting to damage my grain bag.

Next time I'll skip the strainer basket and jut hang the grain bag. Not worth buying another grain bag every couple of cooks.
I would love to see a pic of that setup. I was thinking of trying to do something like that in my backyard.

jtratcliff

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score

cubalz

Beer Whore
Reaction score
I have an electric winch in my brew room and all I do is pull BIAB bag after the mash is complete and let it drip while the kettle comes up to the boil. I do not squeeze and have no noticable effect on efficiency, Same reason I do not do mash outs