What do you use on the ground end of your twine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We planted some rhizomes last weekend and they took off big time. We thought we'd have a couple weeks to get the supports in place, but some are a foot tall already.

I ordered some coir yarn, but I'm having a hard time finding a good solution for the hop end of the twine. I found one set of clips, but you need a $50 tool to insert them and they're pretty pricey...plus most places want to include them with the rhizomes.

Another clip option looked pretty cool, but I can't order just those, I have to have at least 5 other things in my purchase (what's up with that?).

Any great ideas?

At the top, I used steel cable with cable clamps to create eyelets. At the bottom, eye bolts, with 1/4" sisal twine running between them.

My BIL has an acreage. We just allocated a corner and planted a 30' row. We're going to put heavy poles on each end with a cable stretched between. Then drop the twine for each hill.

What are the eyebolts connected to?

They are in a raised bed, so a 2x10, but after thinking about it for a moment, that probably does not help you at all.

If I understand your setup correctly, my first thought would be to use a corkscrew ground anchor (like a dog ti-out spiral anchor), as a cheap and easy solution. It doesn't have to be all that strong, especially once the bine gets to the top of the twine stringer.

They are in a raised bed, so a 2x10, but after thinking about it for a moment, that probably does not help you at all.

If I understand your setup correctly, my first thought would be to use a corkscrew ground anchor (like a dog ti-out spiral anchor), as a cheap and easy solution. It doesn't have to be all that strong, especially once the bine gets to the top of the twine stringer.

Yeah, I was thinking about something like that too. I'll poke around and see if I can find some economical ones.

I ran a piece of twine horizontally between the uprights low to the ground and tied the vertical twine to the horizontal twine.

I used a thing from a garden department, a wire spike with two arms on it. It must have been cheap, or I wouldn't buy it! :)
Look in Agway, Home Depot or a hardware store in the garden section.

I just use 3/8 rebar driven in about 2 feet at a 30 degree angle off vertical. I don't use twine, it's not strong enough for our winds. So I bout a 1000' roll of electric fencing at a clearance sale, it's good for 3 or 4 seasons before it falls apart.

I just use 3/8 rebar driven in about 2 feet at a 30 degree angle off vertical. I don't use twine, it's not strong enough for our winds. So I bout a 1000' roll of electric fencing at a clearance sale, it's good for 3 or 4 seasons before it falls apart.

I like that idea. I get canyon winds (sustained 90 mph, gusts over 140). I just gave up on the hops on the side of my house and concentrated on the ones protected by the house. Maybe I'll give this a try.

I'm curious to see pics.
20170531_194117-jpg.406604

From last year - only thing I have handy. The uprights are fence rail top posts bolted through inside my existing fence posts.

IMG_6022.JPG
IMG_6023.JPG

New here and new to growing hops. But I have a horizontal steel cable that runs between my poles that I attached my drip irrigation and twine. If you don't want to run a horizontal line, drip irrigation stakes are really cheap.

Tent stakes seems to work for me. They are inexpensive, hold good and have a nice hook on them to loop the twine.

I use wooden stakes with an eyelet screw on top. They've been in the ground for 3 years and still work great. I had the stakes already, and they eyelet screws were about $0.50 each.

I have tried a few different ways, but this year I bought a couple of 8 foot long 1 x 2 's . They are cheap.
Then I just cut one end into a point like a Dracula spike. I made two of these for each plant. Then, before I drove them into
the ground, I drilled a hole the size of some small bolts I had. After that, I just hammered them into the earth near each hop plant,
measured again for the cross beam, which I'm kinda wondering if I really even need now that I look at it.
Drilled holes in the cross piece. Put the bolts in. Put a nut on the other side (no washer necessary ) and ran my
rope from this anchor up over my top wire and tied it off on the other side.

IMG_20180511_165635876_zpswep0xgn6.jpg

IMG_20180511_165653690_HDR_zpsaurmfsf9.jpg

IMG_20180511_165908838_zpsyq6c2elc.jpg

I like that idea. I get canyon winds (sustained 90 mph, gusts over 140). I just gave up on the hops on the side of my house and concentrated on the ones protected by the house. Maybe I'll give this a try.
It has 3 thin strands of stainless steel wire intertwined with UV resistant plastic "twine"

Back