What do you think of this brew pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Edge

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm actively stepping into all grain with only a few more purchases to make. The most expensive one (aside from the mill) is the larger brew pot.

I've got a 6 gal one right now -- which is perfect for extract, but I need to step into a larger pot.

What do you think of this 7.5 gallon pot from proctor silex?

obviously, you get what you pay for... but aside from that...

https://www.kitchencollection.com/Temp_Products.cfm?sku=00139157

and the same listing on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-5-GALLON-30-Q...ryZ38172QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

my concern, obviously, is that it may be too thin and would potentially cause scorching. I have a pretty nice turkey fryer that can bring the boil up in about 10-15 minutes on a good day.

Thanks for the help.

-Ed

Well that is $200 versus $60 something. That's a vast difference. I figure that If I ever want to get into 10 gallon, I can make that purchase then, as I'll have all of the other equipment.

One step at a time...

I'd say go bigger too. My pot is 9gallons, and it's pretty tight for some of the longer boil AG's. To finish off with 5gal on a 60min boil, I normally start with 7 gallons in the winter at least. I have an Italian kettle from Morebeer and it's great, but I really like the Megapots too. They are built pretty dang good.

Thanks for the ebay item, Edwort. Do you know anyone (or yourself) who has bought from this seller? Is the product of a decent quality?

+1 for the want add on CL.

I placed one, and had all 3 of my kegs in hand in one day for $35 TOTAL.

Chris

The only thing with CL is that I don't live in a metro area, or near a metro area. I'm out in the boonies.

If you're looking to go cheap, look around a bit more. I got an 8 gallon aluminum pot for $25 at a large NW grocery store (WINCO).

I bought a converted 15gl keg from another brewer here in San Antonio. I found it on cragslist one day and called him up and picked it up. Paid 45 bucks for it. It is worth the cash. I am going to convert another keg once I pick one up. It doesn't look like it is hard to convert. Just have to make sure you empty the air and mark well and then use the cuting wheel.

Look on craigslist or pick up a used keg from someone and convert it.

:mug:
happy brewing Bill

Thanks. bumped to 40. I don't mind spending a little more. someone else just mentioned $20 bucks so I went with it.

Also, not to brag...:cross: but I my letter got read on Basic Brewing Radio today... it's almost like being starstruck :ban:

I love homebrewing.

Again, I can't thank you all enough for the help. This is a great community to be involved in.

-Ed

That's cool. I'd add the caveat "Up to $40 based on condition" so you can offer less if it is dented and or filthy. The main thing to look for is that it will sit flat and not wobble, so look for dents in the bottom rim.

egerrish said:
Also, not to brag...:cross: but I my letter got read on Basic Brewing Radio today... it's almost like being starstruck :ban:

Congrats! Me Too. I submitted a question to Mr. Wizard in BYO and it was printed in the March/April 2008 issue. Mr. Wizards answer went to a second page!!

Only BierMuncher noticed though. :(

Don't forget to look at acitydiscount.com or instawares.com for their aluminum pots. Huge, cheap, and they'll be way more efficient than SS. But hey, if you can get a keggle for $40, you need to get on that. :D

No hits yet on the possible keggle -- in some ways South Dakota is more remote than Alaska (or at least, we don't even have a suburban area like Anchorage).

Thanks for the suggestion about the aluminum pot. I may actually try that out. Also, I read flyguy's post on SS versus alum so no worries there.

Thanks.

-Ed

This looks like a decent price on a keggle. Anyone ever ordered from here before?
http://www.homebrewing.org/155-Homeb...p_79-1004.html

Looks like the stuff on ebay is about the same price with shipping -- and most include ball valves which are a few dollars more. This looks cheaper than most ebay "buy it now" prices, so if you want to get it cheaper and not wait a few days to see if you win on ebay...

Update:

I bought a 40 qt. aluminum stock pot from here

I saw that others have had a good experience with the brand update international, and I'll post a review after a couple of brew sessions with it.

All in all, I like the keggle idea if (more like when) I get into bigger batches, but my stainless steel 6 gallon lid will fit perfectly on this pot (if the measurements are accurate) and it will fit nicely on top of my turkey fryer. At $59 for a 10 gal pot, I really can't complain.

Thanks again for all of the advice and help. My supporter fees saved me at least that amount of money on a decent new brew pot.

_Edge said:
Update:

I bought a 40 qt. aluminum stock pot from here

I saw that others have had a good experience with the brand update international, and I'll post a review after a couple of brew sessions with it.

All in all, I like the keggle idea if (more like when) I get into bigger batches, but my stainless steel 6 gallon lid will fit perfectly on this pot (if the measurements are accurate) and it will fit nicely on top of my turkey fryer. At $59 for a 10 gal pot, I really can't complain.

Thanks again for all of the advice and help. My supporter fees saved me at least that amount of money on a decent new brew pot.

FYI, never brew with the lid on. It's ok to help get it to a boil but then take it off and don't put it back on.

FYI, never brew with the lid on. It's ok to help get it to a boil but then take it off and don't put it back on.

No, the lid is just in case I need to carry the thing -- I often have to carry it back inside in the winter because I don't have a utility sink in my garage (where I brew). I don't want to carry it with the lid off in case I stumble a bit -- boiling wort in my lap. If I put the lid on and let it cool just a few degrees it creates a seal.

Also brewing with the lid on traps sulfurs (I've heard).

_Edge said:
No, the lid is just in case I need to carry the thing -- I often have to carry it back inside in the winter because I don't have a utility sink in my garage (where I brew). I don't want to carry it with the lid off in case I stumble a bit -- boiling wort in my lap. If I put the lid on and let it cool just a few degrees it creates a seal.

Also brewing with the lid on traps sulfurs (I've heard).
It traps DMS which is also something you don't want. :mug:

Back