What do you think about adding Apple Juice to wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AwesomeSquad

Reaction score
My friend asked me and I didn't know what to tell him. If you are wanting some fruity characteristics in a beer would it help if you added maybe a gallon or two of apple juice to the wort? I know about apple ale and Brandon O's Graff, but what about adding some apple juice to a belgian ale or something like that?

The funny thing about juice and honey is that they are pretty much pure simple sugars. The result is that they ferment away almost completely. You might get some slight apple aromatics, but the result of adding apple juice to beer is just drying out your beer. For some Belgian styles, this can be desirable, but it definitely won't make your beer taste like apples.

Not sure if it's available where you are, but Shorts Brewing makes an amber ale with cider added. Could give you and idea. But yeah, it doesn't exactly taste like apples.

If you want to have a cider taste in that beer, just use more than 20% sugar instead of malt, pitch near 80 and ferment your batch like I did my first one. I used a kit and added the 1 kg of sugar it called for, pitched too soon and it fermented in the upper 70's.

That one tasted like cider for sure

Back