What do you suppose these white kernels are?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mramann

Reaction score
I've posted this in the beginner's section to not incur the wrath of the HBT AG guys. This is my first post here, but I'm a relatively experienced AG brewer. I'm not freaking out about the possibility of an infection, but am curious about the white, rice-like kernels floating at the top of my fermenting pale ale. I had a train wreck of a brew day, so I wouldn't be surprised if something got in there.

Thing is, I remember seeing these guys before, and the beer has always turned out tasting fine. Obviously I'm going to wait it out and taste when primary is complete (it's day 7 today). I've searched all over the infections threads (and the 'Did I Ruin My Beer' stickies) and couldn't find pix of anything that looks like what I've got.

My apologies for the post if it is redundant. Just a bit curious.

kernels.jpg

Almost look like maggots :cross:

That would be pretty nasty. But they don't move, and I don't think maggots could survive in liquid. And, I think they need some sort of dead meat to chow on. Not sure they could survive the Colorado winter out of doors, either, which was where this sucker was brewed.

I thought maybe they were some kind of precipitated protein, but that would settle with the trub. Pretty weird that they float?

yah someone weigh in on this, also could you tell us your yeast strain?

Smells fine, like a deliciously hoppy pale ale. I used 1056 that I had collected from a previous batch of the same recipe. I used established washing procedures (as documented in the HBT wiki) to collect and start the yeast.

Really not terribly worried, but more than a little curious to see if this is known to some of the forum's gurus.

That would be pretty nasty. But they don't move, and I don't think maggots could survive in liquid. And, I think they need some sort of dead meat to chow on. Not sure they could survive the Colorado winter out of doors, either, which was where this sucker was brewed.

I thought maybe they were some kind of precipitated protein, but that would settle with the trub. Pretty weird that they float?

That's why they don't move, they died :(

My statement was all in humor.

If it smells fine, it's probably ok. As to what it is, all I can do is guess that it's yeast that has clumped together in that shape for whatever reason, maybe unique to that strain in combination with various other environmental circumstances. Think of the way crystals form from different substances under different temperatures and pressures.

That's why they don't move, they died :(

My statement was all in humor.

Maybe that's why I didn't get it. I'm a particularly humorless fellow.

Whatever this thing is, I vow not to brew drunk anymore. (At least until next time.):tank:

Maybe that's why I didn't get it. I'm a particularly humorless fellow.

Whatever this thing is, I vow not to brew drunk anymore. (At least until next time.):tank:

Your profile has you down as female, may want to fix that. The ratio of male to female brewers is astounding (it makes you female if you can't decide :cross:)

Your profile has you down as female, may want to fix that. The ratio of male to female brewers is astounding (it makes you female if you can't decide :cross:)

Thanks for the heads up. That's a dirty little trick...I finally filled out a little more on my profile. Cheers.

Not sure what in that picture has you concerned. I see some flocculating yeast clumps and the residue from high kraeusen on the sides of the glass.

Looks fine to me unless you can point out what I am missing.

Don't worry about incurring anyones wrath either. Sure some folks can be cranky sometimes but we are all here to learn and share.

Let her go a couple more weeks and your gold.

:tank:

Not sure what in that picture has you concerned. I see some flocculating yeast clumps and the residue from high kraeusen on the sides of the glass.

Looks fine to me unless you can point out what I am missing.

Don't worry about incurring anyones wrath either. Sure some folks can be cranky sometimes but we are all here to learn and share.

Let her go a couple more weeks and your gold.

:tank:

Thanks for taking a look. The concern for me is the rice-like particles floating at the top. The kraeusen was vigorous and beautiful, as you can see. But these little maggot-looking buggers appeared after the kraeusen went down. Could just be flocculating yeast, as you said. But that's a strange shape for them to take.

Maybe I've inadvertently made a rice beer?

I'm sure it's nothing. Like I said, I've had it happen before without affecting the taste. No worries. RDHAHB

Thanks for taking a look. The concern for me is the rice-like particles floating at the top. The kraeusen was vigorous and beautiful, as you can see. But these little maggot-looking buggers appeared after the kraeusen went down. Could just be flocculating yeast, as you said. But that's a strange shape for them to take.

It looks like yeast clumps to me. Different strains clump different ways. Some sink immediately others hang around a while. Sometimes the same strain will behave differently than what you have seen before depending on many variables. Like temperature and the make-up of the wort. If they do not sink after another week or 2 cold crash it and they will sink.

I have a Scottish 70/- going right now. It has been 3 weeks and it still had clumps floating. I crashed it down to about 48F the other day and they sunk. I will let it go another day or so and then keg it up.

Thanks, Zymurgrafi. You must be right. As difficult of a brew day as I had, I like to think I was still pretty antiseptic. At least I hope I didn't allow maggots in there. Prost...

Remember whatever you do, try, try real real hard not to think of maggots when you drink this beer later. :D

Latest posts

Back