What do you pay for a Pint of Pliny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeehillbrewer

Reaction score
An establishment in my area has recently started having Pliny on tap. Which is great, but it really seems to me that they are over charging at $7/Pint. That just seems really steep.

So I'm curious what folks are paying around the country where Pliny is available on Tap. This place was also charging $7 for a 10oz pour of Hoptimum, when I could get it down the street at the Brewery for $5.

Am I just a cheap A$$? or are they gouging people?

I will be visiting San Diego in April. Pliny is on my list of beers to make sure I get my hands on while there. Any suggestions on the best place to locate this beer in a bottle while in SD?

About the best I see Pliny go for in bottles here is $4.99 and they are 16oz bottles. When bars do have it $7 is about right. As for where to get it in San Diego it is hard to say. Any place can be hit or miss as they may be on the distribution list but can be out at any given time. Here' the list from Rusian's site though.

http://www.russianriverbrewing.com/pages/accounts/socal.html

$7 is kind of high, but think of it this way, when you go to any sporting event, you paying $7+ for BMC.

$7 for a premium beer in a bar sounds normal to me, but we can't get any Russian River in NJ. Best hope is Philly and selection gets limited.

Drink your beer mate and never argue with the barkeep. Remember, it's his establishment and we're just guests. :)

I'd gladly pay $7 for a pint of Pliny....but then again I would probably be instantly killed by the sheer shock of seeing a bar in Oklahoma actually serving a beer like that and therefore wouldn't even be able to enjoy it.

The bar across the street here in Oakland does pitchers of it for $14, which I guess is a really good deal. Especially considering the general prices in the Bay Area.

In SD there are a couple places that have Pliney. The la mesa market has it pretty regularly in bottles and I have seen it on tap plenty of times at the Toronado in North Park.

Drink your beer mate and never argue with the barkeep. Remember, it's his establishment and we're just guests. :)

I disagree, That may hold true when you're a guest in someones house, but I'm a paying patron and I shouldn't feel like I'm getting bent over.

Which is why I started this thread, I'm not really sure if I would be getting gouged or not. This particular place is nice enough to have a Facebook account and they announce when they Tap a new beer. They also advertise the price. The only place I've had Pliny on tap is at Russian River, and as posted by Scoobs it was $4.50.

But it sounds like the price is in fact fairly reasonable. So I think I'll just have to hit the place at happy hour and call it good.

Thanks all for the input:mug:

I have never sought it out, with all the hype I have read about it, I'm sure it will fall short of my vision of how fantastic it is. Pretty sure I won't see or hear angels singing when I take my first sip. I have seen it on tap at Papago brewing, so I would imagine it would be 4.50/pint there on happy hour.

JarrodH said:
The la mesa market has it pretty regularly in bottles

You can thank me for that!

Pliny is about $6 a pint down here and Pliny is good but there are so may more to enjoy. Ballast Boint Sculpin is good and my favorite IPA brewer is Alpine Brewing Co. Exponential Hoppiness is amazing.

You can thank me for that!

Pliny is about $6 a pint down here and Pliny is good but there are so may more to enjoy. Ballast Boint Sculpin is good and my favorite IPA brewer is Alpine Brewing Co. Exponential Hoppiness is amazing.

Awesome! That guy has a good selection of beer and I end up usually talking to him for at least 10 minutes about beer each time I go.. maybe it should be a Pliny night... mmmmm... I did try the Sculpin the last time I was over there and thought it was a pretty damn good beer. I did enjoy Exponential Hoppiness last time I was down at the Toronado. Its going to be a good year at NHC with all the local breweries getting together.

Palm Springs Liquor in La Mesa has it pretty regularly - $4.99 for a 16oz-er. It's usually pretty fresh as well. I've had a few from there that had a bottle date less than a week old.

$7 for an imperial IPA is normal... for a really good IPA it's a good deal.

Around here, that is.

I guess it does depend on where you live. Pints of IPA in San Diego are all 4.50 to 6 MAX, depending on where you go. Pliny is almost always on somewhere near my house for 5 bucks. We do have a glut of the style out here, though.

ameliabrewery said:
Does anyone know a place in Orlando, FL that has Pliny on tap?

I don't believe Russian River distributes anywhere in Florida. They have really limited distribution anywhere outside the west coast.

If you are in San Diego then you can find Pliny at quite a few places. Two places I would recommend you visit though are Holiday Wine Cellar and Pizza Port in Carlsbad's bottle shop/room. If you happen to be unlucky, and I mean really unlucky and can't find it there, drive about a half hour north on the 15 freeway and come see me at a store called Barons in Temecula. I always have at least 5-8 cases in the back walk in cooler. Oh, and at Barons it's only 4.49 a bottle, but gas prices kind of ruin the price difference.

Check out my avatar, the left is pliny, the right is blind pig.

In downtown Denver, Pliny, Racer 5 and Green Flash West Coast IPA can all be had for $6.00 a pint at the Falling Rock.

In downtown Denver, Pliny, Racer 5 and Green Flash West Coast IPA can all be had for $6.00 a pint at the Falling Rock.
. .. or you can of course brew a decent clone, like the one i am enjoying from Austin, worked out to be about $1.85 a pint :mug: brew calculator pegged it at 8.9% abv and 191 IBU; fantastic efficiency!

Just because something is priced higher than something else doesn't make it gouging. Some people don't have a clue.

$7 for an imperial IPA is normal... for a really good IPA it's a good deal.

Around here, that is.

I agree. Down here in Nashville, non happy hour beer prices are ridiculous. I end up paying $5.50 or 6 bucks for a pint of a regular old pale ale.

Just because something is priced higher than something else doesn't make it gouging. Some people don't have a clue.

I think they know exactly what they are doing. You can't get Pliny anywhere else, so they jack the price up. Supply & Demand at it's finest. In fact the more I think about the more I realize they overcharge for all of their Beers, BUT I suppose they make up for it with very reasonably priced food that have generous portions.

Unless of course you were implying that I don't have a clue. Which is very likely :fro:

. .. or you can of course brew a decent clone, like the one i am enjoying from Austin, worked out to be about $1.85 a pint :mug: brew calculator pegged it at 8.9% abv and 191 IBU; fantastic efficiency!

Or you can get in on group buys and buy hops in bulk. My IPA fermenting right now was brewed "in the tradition of" Pliny. Only 6.26% but 150 calculated IBU for $0.54 a pint. :mug:

We are pretty lucky here, It's on tap in 3 locations within a few blocks of my house, I pay 3.00 a pint!! :rockin:

The only site I know of that approaches that functionality is beerfly which is part of beeradvocate.com. I don't think it is quite as functional as you describe but it is very useful for finding craft beer in otherwise desolate areas.

sorry i edited my post, I found the link.. I guess I could have kept up the original..

OP just be glad you're not at this place looking to drink some russian river beers.
http://www.beermenus.com/cities/san-francisco/bars/fat-angel

also OP, you live in the boonies, I'd not complain too much and be glad you can even get pliny.

It's safe to say I'll probably never set foot in that place. Makes the place I'm talking about look cheap.

And I wouldn't really say I'm complaining, just trying to educate myself on what the going price for a pint would be.

And good point, You do pay a little more for things when you live in the boonies.

Lucky 13, Church/Market, San Francisco, CA.
Pliney the Elder - $3 per pint happy hour until 8pm everyday, $4 there after.
And after three years at this below taproom price, Pliney is going up this week at Lucky 13 to $4 happy hours, $5 there after.
Make sure you say 'hi' to Laura, my sister.

Lucky 13, Church/Market, San Francisco, CA.
Pliney the Elder - $3 per pint happy hour until 8pm everyday, $4 there after.
And after three years at this below taproom price, Pliney is going up this week at Lucky 13 to $4 happy hours, $5 there after.
Make sure you say 'hi' to Laura, my sister.

thanks for the tip, I my have to break y boycott of SF for this.

Awesome! That guy has a good selection of beer and I end up usually talking to him for at least 10 minutes about beer each time I go.. maybe it should be a Pliny night... mmmmm... I did try the Sculpin the last time I was over there and thought it was a pretty damn good beer. I did enjoy Exponential Hoppiness last time I was down at the Toronado. Its going to be a good year at NHC with all the local breweries getting together.

It pays to frequent a establishment and then ask them to get you items that you can't find. I live around the corner from La Mesa Market and he actually called up Russian River and pestered them to let him get their beer. He eventually wore them down and they relented.

I'm looking forward to the NHC, my wife...not so much.

Latest posts

Back