What do you NEED?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There is some great stuff in the FAQ part.... but what I wanna know is what stuff do i NEEEEEED to begin kegging?

I plan on making a keezer later (somer sometime), and I would like to start stocking up my kegs, so what do I NEED!

Thanks! :)

1) Refrigeration vessel (determine if you need a tower based on this)
2)temperature control (may be part of the refirgeration vessel, or not)
3)couplers w/ tail pieces for said kegs (ball lock, sankey......based on what keg you have)
4)air line
5)beer line
6)CO2 source
7)CO2 regulator
8)faucets
9)shanks
10)spanner wrench
11)cleaning system (faucet brush, cleaning pot & BLC or similar solution)
12)drip pan (not necessary, but makes SWMBO happy)
13)beer clean glasses
14)thirsty friends to help empty said keg (give me a call, I can help) :mug:

you don't NEED the faucets and shanks. It certainly is something you will want, but you can get started with just a standard cobra tap.

tuckferrorists said:
you don't NEED the faucets and shanks. It certainly is something you will want, but you can get started with just a standard cobra tap.

Yep. I have 4 in a fridge with cobra taps. Just open and pour.

I'm certainly starting with just cobra taps. I plan on putting a tower together, but this way I can spread the investment out over a couple of months. ;)

My starting equipment was:
- 2 kegs
- 2 sets of Ball-lock QDs
- Gas tubing
- Beer line
- 2x cobra taps
- CO2 Cyllinder
- Regulator
- Gas manifold (for separate shut-off of the 2 kegs).

Next month I'll be adding:
- 2x elbow shanks
- 2x faucets
- Toilet Seat fitting
- 2' length of PVC
- PVC cap
- spray-foam insulation

And the tower will be done. ;)

Claphasma said he wanted to make a keezer, I took that to mean a kegerator. A kegerator TO ME is a unit with cold storage, faucets and co2 all in one. After reading the posts that followed mine, I realize that it does mean any chill chest that hold kegs for dispensing (in any manner).

If you just want to dispense beer from a keg, everybody else is right, and you can get by with far less than the entire list. If you really want to save money, you can get a CO2 dispensing system that uses the mini, disposable cartidges.

i did it the cheapest way possible. I got a small chest freezer that i saw an ad for in the paper for 70 bucks, a analog temp control, a co2 tank and regulator, a keg with the fitings and a cobra tap. All in all i think i spent less then 300 but i got the keg for free. When i get more money i can upgrade to a fancy tap, a bigger freezer, more kegs etc... but im in now rush. The co2 tank and regulator will set you back about 140 bucks.

well if you want to do it right, then you will need to suck it up and get some forward sealing faucets. I just did a whirlpool keezer just like Bobby_M. Check out his keezer conversion on youtube. I watched it about 50 times before I did mine.

May I suggest getting some food grade lube also, IMHO its a must for kegging. Also consider getting a backup gas-in and beverage-out fitting (ball lock or pin whichever fits your kegs).

When you do buy your taps, definately get the forward sealing faucets, they are soooo worth the extra money.

tuckferrorists said:
well if you want to do it right, then you will need to suck it up and get some forward sealing faucets. I just did a whirlpool keezer just like Bobby_M. Check out his keezer conversion on youtube. I watched it about 50 times before I did mine.

got a link?

i just bought a kegging set up from midwest supply, because they have a three ball lock complete kegging system for under $300 shipped. i already had the freezer chest, so my additional investments where an analog temp. controller and a few extra carboys to warrant the 3keg system! plus i wanted to built my own draft tower, make it really industrial looking... maybe next month

SomedumbJerk said:
i just bought a kegging set up from midwest supply, because they have a three ball lock complete kegging system for under $300 shipped. i already had the freezer chest, so my additional investments where an analog temp. controller and a few extra carboys to warrant the 3keg system! plus i wanted to built my own draft tower, make it really industrial looking... maybe next month

good deal anyone?

Link?

Thanks! to all!!

Back