What do you know about insects? (For brewery name)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9/9

Collembola!
Reaction score
Okay, this might seem a bit random. What are some general things that you know about insects? My Master's is in Entomology, so we are thinking about a insect theme for our beer names/labels, but want something more interesting than just "insect beers". So, what do people know about insects? Does the average person know that they have six legs? If it was "six legged beers" would you make the insect connection?

Sorry if this is random, just trying to get some ideas.

Soulive said:
How about Exoskeletal Brewing...

A decent possibility. I liked Chitin Beers, but the other half of my brewery (aka SWMBO) didn't think enough people would know what it meant.

9/9 said:
A decent possibility. I liked Chitin Beers, but the other half of my brewery (aka SWMBO) didn't think enough people would know what it meant.

I know what it means. This was one of my favorite board games when I was a kid. No clue what to call your brewery, though.

mg01.jpg

I never overestimate the intelligence of the average person, but I know that my seven year old knows that insects have six legs, and I also know it. There's two. :)

I am quite confident, though, that your average person doesn't know what chitin is or its significance to the insect world. It's also one of those words where you can expect people to mispronounce it.

However, it's not like you're marketing the stuff, so who gives a flip? :mug:

TL

9/9 said:
Huh, never seen that game before, will have to see if I can look it up. :)

Bugs fighting bugs for food. Cool part is that dead bugs become food. Good luck finding it. It was first printed in 1977 and the company that produced it went out of business in the '80s. I still have my copy, though. We could get together and play sometime.

TexLaw said:
I never overestimate the intelligence of the average person, but I know that my seven year old knows that insects have six legs, and I also know it. There's two. :)

I am quite confident, though, that your average person doesn't know what chitin is or its significance to the insect world. It's also one of those words where you can expect people to mispronounce it.

However, it's not like you're marketing the stuff, so who gives a flip? :mug:

TL

Yeah, I figured the six legs was a safe bet, but didn't know about much else. Personally, I don't mind going obscure on this, but my wife would like it to be a bit more obvious for when we give them out to friends and the like.

Frankly, I am more interested in drinking the stuff. :mug:

Beerthoven said:
Bugs fighting bugs for food. Cool part is that dead bugs become food. Good luck finding it. It was first printed in 1977 and the company that produced it went out of business in the '80s. I still have my copy, though. We could get together and play sometime.

Funny, I forgot than you were in the same area here. I might take you up on that offer. :)

aekdbbop said:
Thirsty Cricket Brewing Co?

just a thought.

Well, the idea was to use actual insects for the different beers (Luna Moth Stout, Chirping Cricket Ale, etc.) and something descriptive of all insects for the brewery name.

I appreciate all of the help!

I don't know why we have to make it so complicated. :eek:

It's a bit too general, but "arthropod brew co." ? Maybe it could be "Drosophila Brewing", and the different beers could be named after genes discovered in it: Wingless IPA, Bicoid Bitter, Iroquois American Pale, Krüppel Hefeweizen...
I have a softspot for Drosophila though.

EDIT: Double Bar Double IPA

chase said:
It's a bit too general, but "arthropod brew co." ? Maybe it could be "Drosophila Brewing", and the different beers could be named after genes discovered in it: Wingless IPA, Bicoid Bitter, Iroquois American Pale, Krüppel Hefeweizen...

I would have to do some research for that one, I never was very good with the genetics side of things.

My real interest is Springtails, but hardly anyone knows about them to begin with.

aekdbbop said:
Thirsty Cricket Brewing Co?

just a thought.

I have crickets in my basement. I think they're eating my grain. I don't mind, it's kind of nice. I can sit on the coach, hear them chirp, and pretend it's spring. Except for the fact that it's f*cking cold.

Carry on... :D

Springtail Brewing is a catchy name.

Snow flea stout
Buski Porter
Globular Golden

[I looked these up. Nasty little things!]

chase said:
Maybe it could be "Drosophila Brewing", and the different beers could be named after genes discovered in it: Wingless IPA, Bicoid Bitter, Iroquois American Pale, Krüppel Hefeweizen...

That's some good stuff. I have to pass this on to my buddy who's doing a lot of stuff with Drosophila for his PhD in molbio.

But as far as common knowledge, 6-legged should be a gimme. I think Chitin brewing is hilarious, but I'm a biochem guy, so my knowledge is a bit on the skewed side too.

I like Springtail Brewing a lot. The picture in the Wikipedia entry is rather disturbing, but don't let that dissuade you.

Chitin is clever, but it's a bit obscure, and it's not a cool enough sounding/looking word. Given people's proclivity for its mispronunciation, I don't think you'd want this sort of connotation: "I don't like when someone sits in the stall next to me when I'm chitin."

+1 for Springtail Brewing. It has an optimistic ring to it. It isn't overtly "buggy" sounding like cockroach brewing, or dung beetle brewing. But anyone that knows about them will make the connection.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. It will be a while before we have to make a decision, but I will make a push for Sprintail Brewing.

LepidopterAle :D

seriously tho, who cares if anyone knows? it'll make it interesting and give them something to look up.

if you were into commercial brewing, it actually good for marketing...find something that makes people curious, good conversation bottles. as long as the beer is good, they'll keep coming back ;)

olllllo said:
What do I know about bugs?

Women hate 'em.
Some freak out irrationally.

Good luck.

Oddly enough, when I was in my entomology grad program there were many more women studying them then men. Go figure.

What about "Hexapodia Brewing co."? Those that know it get it, and those that don't, well.......

Springtail does sound good though, but sounds more like a bird than an insect:)

Back