What do you guys think about gin and a sour beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodwood

Reaction score
So we picked up two barrels that held gin and bourbon from a local distillery. We went to pick it up and tried the gin and bourbon. The gin is just full of juniper. We have a few barrels sours ready to bottle or age in a barrel. We were thinking that a sour beer would go good in one. Possibly throw some type of citrus after a month or so. Get that gin and juice vibe going. Haha.

What do you guys think? They are 4 day fresh barrels, so we have either a few sours, brett beers, or we can brew a double IPA up quick.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't have any specific advice for you but check out Rivertown Brewing's Triumvirate - it's a sour with gin ingredients added and aged in a gin barrel. It's quite tasty and might give you some ideas.
triumvirate.png

Upright and Jester King have done some fun sour/funky beers aged in Ransom Old Tom gin barrels. Upright has done Special Herbs (gruit) and Fatali Four (chile peppers). I really dug Jester King Viking Metal, which was herbed and smoked to go along with the gin character.

Citrus would be really fun too, either citrus zest, or just dry hop with some citrusy varieties! In fresh spirit barrels it won't take long. You may want to either do another beer first, or brew extra to cut it with after aging.

Good luck!

We ended up transferring 5 gallons of a dark sour. It was basically a porter recipe, after souring for a year and a half it looks and tastes like a sour brown/red ale. We did a little infusion with gin to get an idea of what it was going to taste like. We liked it. We liked it even better with a dash of orange put in. There were a few times tasting it, I would get a hint of dill. That was pretty weird.

We are filling the other one next week. I am thinking one of our brett beers will do the trick. We have a brett forward beer that is starting to taste tart. I think it could be from the grapes we added. We will try that beer and few others next week. I really want to try tangerines with the gin and beer. Tangerine Dream by Cascade was amazing. So many options!

I think using a clean beer or fresh beer would be best, but it just keeps snowing and snowing here. We will probably brew the base recipe and blend if it is too strong of a character. I have never blended a super fresh beer with a sour, I think that will be tricky. We do have another 5 gallons of a dark sour, maybe blending those two will be better.

The barrels are super fresh. We were thinking a month to two months. In two months, we will have a beer fermented hopefully. I emailed all the local distilleries thinking I would not get a reply. It caught is off guard, but we had to get these barrels. I just wish some of the wineries would have gotten back.

Was just curious how the sour in gin barrels came out. About to do my own version

Back