What do you guys do when bottling after dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
Do you guys use a filter at the bottom of your fermenter? Just curious what methods people use to keep the hop trub out of the bottles... We dry hopped with 2 oz each of Amarillo, Centennial, and Cascades pellets.

We currently use a racking cane hooked up to our auto-siphon to bottle.

Thanks

You rack to a bottling bucket which has the priming sugar in it, then bottle out of that. This ensures a good even mix of priming solution. Leave all of the other gunk in the fermenter and clean it later.

Are you currently mixing the priming sugar into the fermenter, then bottling directly out of the fermenter? I can't see how that would work too well.

What size batch was that?! That's alot of dry hops!:ban:

I just bottled my double IPA last night and we used a hop bag when we dry hopped. Two things I was surprised about: First, the hop bag worked really well at containing everything. Absolutely nothing got out of it. Second, once the hop pellets go in and break up, they really swell up! Ended up alot bigger than it started and actually looked like real hop solids.

The beer should be delicious, although it tasted VERY green last night.

+1 on the bottling bucket. Pour in the priming sugar and rack the beer over it, then let it sit still for a little while so the hops can settle to the bottom. The spigot should be high enough above the bottom of the bucket to leave all that behind.

I rack to the bottling bucket, mix priming sugar into solution and use a filter over the spigot intake to prevent any remaining debris from making it into the bottles.

I was having a bit of a brain fart when I posted this topic... The last few batches we have done has been bottled out of the fermenter (it actually works quite well). *smack head*

Thanks for the replies anyhow guys!

Latest posts

Back