What Do You Drink For Filler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davis119

Reaction score
Besides home brew.......
If your like me you can't afford to drink craft/micro brews all night. What do you drink for filler and to help get the buzz going....?
Im going to get a 6pk of souther tier 422 and an 18 of miller lite.

What about. U guys?

I used to be a Bud Light drinker before i saw the light. I cannot drink that crap anymore. Ever since i started drinking beer with flavor this stuff tastes horrible to me. But if i am tight on cash and i need to buy swill. I will go Pabst Blue Ribbon. Too me it's the best tasting swill out there.

I absolutely cannot stand to drink cheap light beers anymore. I usually buy whatever decent Microbrew or craft brew is on sale; Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Red Hook IPA, etc. The added benefit of drinking these beers as filler is the bottles are reusable for home brew!

If I have friends over for a party, have no home brews left then it means I have not been keeping up with my pipeline! I like to have at least 100 bottles of homebrews conditioning at any given time so if I ever get below about 120 bottles I do my next batch!

I usually stick with the likes of SN Pale Ale or Dales Pale Ale. If the wallet's feeling a little skinny ice cold PBR does the trick.

I'd much rather spend the cash for a huge barleywine or DIPA or Quad to get a buzz on and follow that up with something lighter and more quaffable to keep the buzz going.

That said, I rarely drink to get a buzz. I pee way too often on a beer buzz. I am not a big fan of spirits at all but if a buzz is what you are after it's much easier to get some proof.

Jayhem said:
Yuengling is probably the best cheap beer out there...I can actually drink that on occasion. Here in VA it is the same price as Bud Lite!

Here in nj its cheaper. Miller is $11 for a 1pk yeung is ten

Yes, I see you wrote "besides homebrew", but why?

I've got cold kegs of Kolsch, bohemian pilsner, berliner weisse, and altbier I'm drinking right now. They are all light sessionable beers, they please the BMC crowd, they are very cheap to make, and [drumroll please] they taste great!

passedpawn said:
Yes, I see you wrote "besides homebrew", but why?

I've got cold kegs of Kolsch, bohemian pilsner, berliner weisse, and altbier I'm drinking right now. They are all light sessionable beers, they please the BMC crowd, they are very cheap to make, and [drumroll please] they taste great!

Well mainly because I don't have a stash of HB yet. I want to get a stash of easy drinkers for this reason but its so hard doing so in a condo.....

Well mainly because I don't have a stash of HB yet. I want to get a stash of easy drinkers for this reason but its so hard doing so in a condo.....

I can understand that! I have an entire 15 x 12 room in my basement just to store my home brews, beer fridge and all the equipment, buckets and carboys!

HadesX said:
I always use to look at PBR as a southern redneck type of beer but then i had one at a party last summer and it wasn't awful

Maybe ill get a 12pk tonight. Maybe Im against it because its the new "in" beer. At alot of bars in my area.

Jayhem said:
I can understand that! I have an entire 15 x 12 room in my basement just to store my home brews, beer fridge and all the equipment, buckets and carboys!

Its not a storage/space issue. I could keep cases of beer right in my dining/living room. Right next to my set of winter wheels and tires for my car lol

The issue is a place to brew

you need to brew more.

PBR is good, Genny or Genny light is palattable, Coors Banquet if i am in a pinch

if i am looking for a quick pick me up. Whitetail Ten Point Buck Caramal Whiskey.

I just can't drink BMC anymore. I just do a good job making sure my keezer is full of homebrew and my fridge is full of craft brew.

outside of the case of Nugget Nectar from this year, I havent' bought commerical beer for home in about 3 years now. I have 3 beers on tap at any given time, plus others in bottles.

I don't drink to get drunk so I don't drink filler beers. I'd rather spend $10 on a good bomber 10% ale than spend $10 on a 12 pack of Yuengling (which used to be my go-to cheap beer).

That's just me though.

Will pick up a 6 or 12 pack of whatever is on sale at the store, as long as they aren't twist offs. Figure I'm buying empties for my future brews, that come with samples of beer to see if my wife and I may want to try copying sometime.

I've got a soft spot for Natty Bo that I can't explain, but my preference for a beer I can grab from the store is Yuengling. I'm not that fond of PBR, but occasionally have to drink it out of familial obligation.:mug:

I suggest you try whiskey; a 1.75 of Evan Williams is like $20, and if you wanna get a buzz going, try two whiskey Cokes and a Manhattan. I call it the "Failure Drill..." ;)

RickFinsta said:
I suggest you try whiskey; a 1.75 of Evan Williams is like $20, and if you wanna get a buzz going, try two whiskey Cokes and a Manhattan. I call it the "Failure Drill..." ;)

Nope...... not for me. I see people saying the like the high abv beers im not a fan. I don't like the taste of alcohol in my beer......
Id rather but down a 12pk.
But don't get me wrong some nights when I can tell the buzz isn't happening or the beer is going down slow. Ill jump start it with a shot. Usually jager

I've got a soft spot for Natty Bo that I can't explain, but my preference for a beer I can grab from the store is Yuengling. I'm not that fond of PBR, but occasionally have to drink it out of familial obligation.:mug:

You are from baltimore, so this is not only acceptable but expected!

i'm still relatively new to homebrew so if i'm buying beer its because i'm looking for the next style i want to attempt to brew... other than that its bourbon for me

Pretty much the cheapest I'll go these days is SNPA. I don't drink to get buzzed like I used to so I'll just settle for one or two craft brews in a night. If for whatever reason I feel like drinking all night, I'll sip some red wine. I can stretch a bottle of Pinot Noir over several hours and feel nice, but not plastered at the end of it.

EDIT: Actually, in a pinch I'll go with the assorted case of Kirkland beers from Costco. They're not too bad (I really like the Pale Ale) and the bonus is I get a case of bottles for like 3 bucks more than buying empties.

Ok so I went with a 6er of PBR ...BOTTLES (cuz im classy like that ) as filler
Along with
6pk SNAP
6 southern tier 422
And 1 kona coconut brow ale

I love working 4 days a week

It doesn't have to be as filler. There be some damn fine beers out there.

All sorts of Shiner. Smokehaus sucks though. Sorry, Shiner. But everything else they make is great. Haven't tried Wild Hare, yet. Black Bohemian is my favorite.

Just tried Guinness Black Lager. Good stuff.

Fat Tire and Saint Arnold is also good. Oh, look. Saint Arnold has root beer. :)

Budweiser American Ale, good.

I'll drink anything made in Louisiana, just because. Abita and Covington come to mind.

And my original favorite, MGD.

If I'm not drinkin HB I'm drinking whiskey... Red Stag or Maker's Mark.

If I'm havin friends over then I buy SN Pale ale.

Out on town I'm drinkin' PBR 'cause it's cheap and decent. And to para phrase a previous poster, it's a southern redneck beer. "Make our own whiskey and our own smoke too, ain't too many things these 'ol boys cain't do."

-FL Cracker

I get a decent craft brew of the kind that is on sale or most affordable and combine it with a really tasteless beer like Keystone Light. The Keystone is kind of like malto-dextrine in reverse. It lessens the mouth feel without adding anything to the taste. I get a decent tasting beer for half the cost of a craft brew.

The local bar has $2 taps during the local pro-sports games. Since I'm not going to drink BMC I'll have a few Grain Belt Premiums for $2.

Back