What do you do with your used grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haterade

Reaction score
I just throw them away. Today I noticed one of the dogs eating some of the grains that collected on my wooden mash stirrer thing... I'm wondering if I can feed them to the dogs? Is it safe? I'm a bit worried because one of our dogs is a scavenger and eats pretty much everything off the floor. He actually ate a hop pellet and puked green crap everywhere later in the day.

I don't have a horse either. Are grains good for compost? Will birds eat them if I toss them in the lawn? Can I make oatmeal or anything from them? I'm not trying to reduce my carbon footprint or any of that gibberish but maybe there is something better than just tossing these organics away?

I dump them next to the salt lick I have out back for the Deer. They don't last long!

Paul

Well, I'm a newbie. But a couple of weeks ago when I made my first AG batch, I just dumped the grains in the big trash bin in the garage, then let them sit in the enclosed space in 85 degree heat for a few days.

I'm thinking of trying a different approach next time.

My dog gets about a cup of cool spent grain after a brew session- and it's completely safe for him.

I've heard of people making bread with spent grain, but I just dump it on the compost heap. It gets ravaged pretty quickly.

I just throw them away. Today I noticed one of the dogs eating some of the grains that collected on my wooden mash stirrer thing... I'm wondering if I can feed them to the dogs? Is it safe? I'm a bit worried because one of our dogs is a scavenger and eats pretty much everything off the floor. He actually ate a hop pellet and puked green crap everywhere later in the day.

I don't have a horse either. Are grains good for compost? Will birds eat them if I toss them in the lawn? Can I make oatmeal or anything from them? I'm not trying to reduce my carbon footprint or any of that gibberish but maybe there is something better than just tossing these organics away?

I generally dump mine in the compost and some animals appear to eat them. Don't let your dog eat hop pellets as hops are poisonous to dogs!

I dump my grains in the compost, or use them during deer season for my bait pile.

You can easily make spent grain dog biscuits- spent grain, peanut butter, a little flour to get them to hold together with an egg, and bake until crisp.

I put mine in the garden and then my dog rolls in them.

Seriously though - you feed them to your dog? I suppose that's OK! Does he fart?

Well, I'm a newbie. But a couple of weeks ago when I made my first AG batch, I just dumped the grains in the big trash bin in the garage, then let them sit in the enclosed space in 85 degree heat for a few days.

I'm thinking of trying a different approach next time.

That is too funny. I'm laughing my arse off and nearly spit beer all over the monitor. Good luck with your future disposals.

That is too funny. I'm laughing my arse off and nearly spit beer all over the monitor. Good luck with your future disposals.

+1...cleaning monitor now.

I dump my spent grains to the cows. I really envy the Japanese brewers / Ranchers that keep the Kobe Beef cows nearly drunk from all the beer and grains that they eat.

You can easily make spent grain dog biscuits- spent grain, peanut butter, a little flour to get them to hold together with an egg, and bake until crisp

Yoop- what a great idea! Do you hold a bit of spent grain aside for the dog? What kind of batch size are we talking about?

Yoop- what a great idea! Do you hold a bit of spent grain aside for the dog? What kind of batch size are we talking about?

Well, I sometimes have alot of grains, but sometimes less. I never have less than nine pounds, even for a small beer though- so there's plenty! I just scoop some out into a bowl (probably about 2 cups) and mix with some peanut butter and egg until it's like cookie dough (and some flour to hold it together, if it's too wet). Then just bake them at 350 for a few minutes (I don't know how long- maybe 8-10?) while I boil my wort. (I brew inside). They get hard, but that's how they should be. Of course, he'd eat the grains right out of the MLT if I let him- he's not exactly discriminating!

If you don't have time to bake the biscuits right then, you can stick a bowl of grains in the fridge for later- but don't wait more than a couple of days. I learned the hard way that a forgotten bowl of grains in the fridge doesn't smell very good a week later! There are real recipes here, but I just kind of wing it with the biscuits. Like I said, Toby isn't exactly picky. But he likes my dog biscuits almost as much as deer poop! :D (He's a Lab)

Cool, I'll definitely have to try that with some from the next batch. I had always composted the spent grain, until I saw a brew buddy give his Malamute some spent grain from an Octoberfest recipe. Now Bailey gets a cup of cooled grain for hanging out with me during the boil. He's a 2 yo beagle, and he's far from discriminating when it comes to stuffing his face! Deer and rabbit poop rank high on his list. :D

Put 'em in the compost pile.:rockin:

2 IMPORTANT Things:

1) If you put it outside, it DOES attract rodents. BUT, rodents can't digest the spent barley--so eventually they eat too much and essentially internally combust and die. So if you have a rat problem, here's a way to get rid of it.

2) Hops are VERY bad for dogs-- it's one of the big things they can't eat. That's why your dog was barfing it all up. It's considered a canine toxin.

as previously mentioned they compost beautifully, Ive tried using small amounts in bread and its not too bad, a little on the heavy side though. My neighbor raises peacocks and they love the grains, as do most wild animals it seems.

Compost heap. The worms got a treat today!!
slimyWorm.gif
slimyWorm.gif
slimyWorm.gif

Its totally safe to feed them to the dogs. I let my daughter play with them sometime and bake "dog cookies" - spent grains, peanut butter, bacon grease - mix it up and make it into cookies and bake - the dogs go nuts for it, and the daughter loves to mess around in the kitchen.

Usually I take my spent grains out in the yard and find a bare patch in the grass, dump them out and then rake them in. It gives the grass something to hold onto and helps fill in the bald spots.

Composting your spent solids works wonderfully. I compost all of my kettle trub, most of my spent grains and most of my fermenter trub. Some of the spent grain and yeast go to bread-making; you should see bread rise when you use some of your yeast cake for barm! Like a doughy mushroom cloud...

I put my fermenter trub in my compost pile, also. The combination of grass, weeds, vegetable peelings, hops & kettle trub, fruit cores, spent grain, and yeast means that my compost pile is damn near sentient. I swear it went after a squirrel the other day. Ever seen The Blob? Fear the compost. ;)

I'm sure there's some technical reason why it's a Bad Idea to put brewing yeast in the compost pile, but it works in my back yard.

Cheers,

Bob

A subject near and dear to my heart! I have no room for composting :mad: Theres spent grain dog biscuit recipes here and here. I'm going to try this spent grain bread recipe next (I'm a big fan of Peter Reinhart). The recipe's from BrewOrganic also look interesting.

I make that bread every time I brew. I just stick some of the spent grains in tupperware in the freezer until I'm ready to make some bread. The recipe is great! I've actually got the biga out of the fridge now, and will be mixing it in an hour or so. It won't use all of the grains, but it uses some, and it's ridiculously good for you.

I just dump mine in the woods behind my house... until I get around to building that compost bin. There are lots of animals around including deer, but I've never seen the piles disturbed/eaten. I've wondered if it's due to my very high efficiency, which would leave little in terms of proteins/starches/sugars.

if we weren't in an urban area, i'd go for the field or woods idea. but here it goes in the compost pile with all of the vegetable matter and coffee grounds from the house as well as all of our fall leaves. along with recycling, very little garbage leaves our house, and we never have to buy fertilizer for the flower beds and garden.
the bread idea looks good. i'll give it a try.
with spent yeast, you could make vegemite.

I dump my grains in the compost, or use them during deer season for my bait pile.

That is F'n hot Yoop, chicks with guns always make me smile!

Oh, I dump my grains on the compost and turn them in to the top few inches, I don't know why but it seems to speed up the composting process a bit.

Man, I've had vegemite. Why would anyone voluntarily make it? Nasty.

I love it, and keep a big 1lb jar in my fridge at all times. Slice & toast a bagel, apply some high quality butter and then just the thinnest smear of vegemite. Delicious! It's also good for adding richness and depth of flavor to beef stews and soups.

It's also a great source of B vitamins.

I dump them in my garden to improve the heavy soil, But my dogs find a way to get in there and eat them. For a couple of days after a brew session, i'm scooping twice as many doggy bombs that are 90% grain!

Oh well, I guess it keeps them regular.:)

Back