What do you do with your sediment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesepolp

Reaction score
I just transferred my first batch of brew to my secondary glass carboy. I was aware to expect sediment, but dear lord. So much of it. Severely unprepared for this I put it into my compost bin.
So what do you do with yours? Can I expect as much sediment with my carboy, If so what will I do with it? Looking froward to ideas and personal stories.

It makes great fertilizer as is. Mine goes directly into the garden or on the lawn. If you go the lawn route, thin it out and spread it around or you'll get dark green lush patches that can look out of place.

Can I expect as much sediment with my carboy, If so what will I do with it?

No, with your secondary, there's going to be less sediment. Secondary is where you're doing conditioning, and all your active fermentation is going on in your primary. During this time, yeast are eating and reproducing. While they're doing that, they're expelling a lot of gas and a lot of organic compounds that solidify and start settling on the bottom.

As for me, I just pour some water over that yeast cake....swirl it, dump it in the kitchen sink, then re-rinse.

What nobody makes yeastie smoothies... mmmm!

(I just pour mine down the sink, I usually pour a bunch of sanitizer down it the same day so I don't think the yeast could do much. My idophor says something about disposing a lot of it but I was unsure if they meant diluted or not so I just RDWHAHB'd it)

I always convince myself that I am going to eat it so that I can absorb the strength of the spent yeasies, so I usually store the last bit from the carboy in a 2 quart container in the fridge for a day or so. After that I am usually left with ~1 glass of "beer" and yeast milkshake. I usually get 1 spoonful into the shake before I just can't handle the texture and mix it with some spent Star-San for the garden.

Generally I dump it, but I've also washed once (and maybe will again with my hefe) and with my brown I made pretzels ala the recipe floating around here somewhere (they were good but not great, but I'm all but positive those were my shortcomings and not the recipe's).

Just spread it out. Many years ago when I first started brewing I just added a little water, sloshed it and then dumped it in the lawn outside my apartment. Within a month, the there was a lush deep green patch about 3 ft diameter where the yeast went (lots of iron and nitrogen). I looked a bit out of place next to the regular pale green grass.

So that is the trick, you need to dilute it extra and spread it around more evenly to avoid dark green patches - or just brew a lot more often and rotate where you dump it :)

They make siphons connectors for garden hoses like this one. You could just put the end in the slurry and then hook it up to a sprinkler. Or use a wort wizard if you have one

inline.jpg

I always convince myself that I am going to eat it so that I can absorb the strength of the spent yeasies, so I usually store the last bit from the carboy in a 2 quart container in the fridge for a day or so. After that I am usually left with ~1 glass of "beer" and yeast milkshake. I usually get 1 spoonful into the shake before I just can't handle the texture and mix it with some spent Star-San for the garden.

Best idea ever. It's on. I'm actually excited for some more sediment.:drunk:

Back