What Do You Do When They Won't Even TRY IT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmiracle

Reaction score
I've been having a small problem with my buddies since I started this hobby, and I was wondering if you folks ever ran into this and might have any suggestions.

I have NEVER had them drink one of my beers without some argument over the way to drink it. I'm down with letting people do what they want, but I'd really like to see them at least try it the way I'm suggesting.

I had a party where I'd made a brown ale. I took some out of the fridge and set them on the counter to warm up a bit. I pointed them out to people and recommended that they drink those first and replace from the fridge. Well sure enough several folks just grabbed from the fridge and said "I like my beer cold." Refused to try to serving temp. Several people wanted to drink out of the bottle. When I explained about sediment, some actually stopped drinking the beer and others poured into glasses leaving about two to three inches of beer behind.

I brought a hefe to my buddy in Chicago, I told him about the whole mit hefe thing, he refused to even try a sip of mine that way and poured his again with the last two inches of beer remaining. He said "I just don't like the idea of drinking yeast." I told him in that case he should put the beer down because it contains tons of live yeast cells. He said "yeah well I don't want to taste it." I briefly tried to explain that he WAS tasting it and that it wouldn't taste like raw bread dough or anything but it went nowhere.

It's not a big deal or anything, but it gets me a little frustrated. Anybody else run into this? Any tips? I'm not trying to force BMC drinkers to drink double IPAs or anything, but maybe they could take some serving suggestions? To me it's like serving someone a pie and having them grab it with their hands and stuff it down because "that's how I like my McDonald's pies" or dumping ketchup all over a steak you made because "beef is good with ketchup" or whatever. Anyway, end rant.

They're not interested in elevating their beer experience and you're just being an EAC. Now that everyone that ever comes to my house knows I homebrew, I make it clear that everyone is welcome to have as much as they want. I demand that they pour a taster in a dixie cup before wasting a pint because "it tastes like heavy beer like Sam Adams". F them, seriously. More for me.

LMAO

I agree with the "more for me" sentiment except for the fact that very soon, I will be brewing far more than I drink. Sadly, I fear I will need assistance consuming my beer so that I can brew more.

But, a couple things you can do to reduce your aggravation: First, keg your beer. If it's kegged, you have no more worries. Second option, become better at bottle conditioning. It takes shockingly little yeast to bottle condition. You should be able to produce a bottle-conditioned beer that is clear and doesn't leave a funky cake of yeast at the bottom. Don't ask me how, it's quite the mystery to me... but maybe that's an angle you ought to pursue. It's a way of elevating your craft to another level. Making beer isn't all about brewing... it's about packaging too.

Next, consider pouring your beer. Stand proudly behind your beer at your next party and say, "Hey, let me pour you a sample." and "Let me pour you a pint". If they try to grab one of your bottles, just smack their hand and say, "I'm sorry, but you don't know how to handle a beer like this. This ain't some crap-assed macroswill and I'm not going to let you ruin it! Want a taste?"

Most of my friends like good beer at this point so it's not much of an issue anymore. For those that don't or are unsure, I just do what Bobby does and make them try a little before pulling a full pint. If they still don't like it, they can either go thirsty or dig a can of year old Genny Cream Ale out of the back of my fridge

I typically call them a name that is slang for a part of the female anatomy, then tell them to bring their own beer if they want to drink carbonated cat urine.

So far it's worked. They drink my beer and end up realizing that there's beer out there that's A LOT better than the BMC that they typically drink.

i dunno. i personally tend to keep the serving suggestions to myself unless i'm asked.

beer temperature is a pretty strong preference for most people, and preconceptions about what you expect from a beer have a huge effect on your perception of how "good" it is. they may be missing out on a heightened beer experience, but that's ok if they're enjoying the beer on their own terms.

as for the yeast thing, my experience has been that people are freaked out by the word "yeast." i usually say:

"there's a little bit of sediment at the bottom, like some wines. it wont hurt you and i personally don't mind it, but if you leave a tiny bit at the bottom you'll avoid most of it."

Seems to me you're being a bit excessive in your zeal for your preferred serving methods.

While it would certainly be preferable for them to drink the beer in a way that maximises the possible enjoyment, unless the party is specifically about beer it's not the correct venue to insist that everyone do it your way. They're there to relax with friends and maybe tie one on, not to have you lecture them that the subtleties in your bottle-conditioned saison are maximised when served at 57F in a champagne goblet. Let them drink the beer how they want.

Regarding the 'mit hefe' thing-it's a matter of personal taste. You might like it with the sediment roused, but that's no reason to ruin your friend's enjoyment of the beer by pestering him to do something he's uncomfortable with. Just suggest it at the beginning, and if he's unwilling to try it let the matter drop.

We had my most BMC focused buddies over on Friday night, and one of them even bought a 12 of Bud Select with him for some unknown reason. Now in fairness, I knew two of them were familiar with microbrews, but one guy who only ever drinks Coors Light, I expected to have to work on him.

I couldn't have been more wrong, they whaled into my attempt at orfy's old speckled hen and we finished all but 6 bottles of my first IPA attempt. Even Ed's Apfelwein got some great positive feedback (I say even because it was < freezing not exactly apfelwein weather).

it was one of those wierd deals - i'm happy everyone enjoyed the beer - but now there's none left for me :mad:

I feel your pain. The problem is that you can't win over everyone. Some people will really like your beer, and some won't. Some will be wasteful, some won't.

A lot of people in my wife's family are downright scared. They think there's a chance of contracting the plague from being in the same room with an unopened bottle.

It's just people being people, I guess. And most people are rather unadventerous.

A couple things:

1- If your buddies want to drink out of the bottles, let them. After they have several massive BMs the next day, they won't ever do it again.

2- My father wouldn't even drink my beer for the first 6 months of my brewing. He's a Coors Light guy (eck!), but did concede that he liked my extra light pale ale after he tried it.

3- The "party vs. beer party" comment has a lot of merrit. If your buddies were over to celebrate your homebrew, then, yes, be a beer dictator. If you had them over to watch the game and get "crunked", let'em be (this is a good time for them to find out about #1).

I've found that most people are receptive to at least trying my beer, and look to me with a "deer in headlights"-type-stare as I try to explain how to drink the beer (temp, pouring, etc.). This is usually when, as suggested in a previous post, I take over the "beer prep" if you will. I usually pour it cold. The beer will warm in their hand, and since it's something they're not used to, they'll probably drink it slowly, allowing it to come to serving temp and experience it on its journey there.

Either they come around to enjoying your beer (read: enlightenment) or they bring their own swill (read: Bud)

Cheers,

flowerysong said:
Seems to me you're being a bit excessive in your zeal for your preferred serving methods.

While it would certainly be preferable for them to drink the beer in a way that maximises the possible enjoyment, unless the party is specifically about beer it's not the correct venue to insist that everyone do it your way. They're there to relax with friends and maybe tie one on, not to have you lecture them that the subtleties in your bottle-conditioned saison are maximised when served at 57F in a champagne goblet. Let them drink the beer how they want.

Regarding the 'mit hefe' thing-it's a matter of personal taste. You might like it with the sediment roused, but that's no reason to ruin your friend's enjoyment of the beer by pestering him to do something he's uncomfortable with. Just suggest it at the beginning, and if he's unwilling to try it let the matter drop.

Well I certainly didn't keep after them about it, and I'm hardly at that stage with the whole "bottle-conditioned saison" thing, it's just that if you're going to try something someone made it seems weird to just blow off how they want to serve it without even trying it that way.

I'm more concerned (and it's true this hasn't happened yet) with someone thinking that they don't like a style when they're only willing to try it ice-cold out of the fridge swigging out of the bottle.

There's a place near me called Clementines, they have a beer called Ruppert's Dark Ale on draft that I think is pretty good, it's a stout-type beer. But when you first get the pint, it's ICE COLD and just tastes bitter. If you let that thing warm up a bit you get a nice dark beer with some chocolate and roasty flavor. I just picture someone trying the first sip and thinking they don't like that kind of beer. Then to have that happen to MY beer...:mad:

I don't know, it's weird I meant this kinda light-hearted, I certainly don't berate my friends about it or anything.

I'll come over and drink your beer any way you want me to. :D

My friends are all into trying new beers and I have some that come over to see what I have thats new, some bring their own growlers to take some home.
I have not had a beer that one of them did not like but getting any of them to drink more then a half pint of an IPA is not going to happen. Not that my IPA's are not good, they are not hop heads nor will they ever be.

I do 2nd the "keg the beer" that fixes most of it. They have to use a glass and you can serve it at what ever temp you want.

cd2448 said:
We had my most BMC focused buddies over on Friday night, and one of them even bought a 12 of Bud Select with him for some unknown reason. Now in fairness, I knew two of them were familiar with microbrews, but one guy who only ever drinks Coors Light, I expected to have to work on him.

I couldn't have been more wrong, they whaled into my attempt at orfy's old speckled hen and we finished all but 6 bottles of my first IPA attempt. Even Ed's Apfelwein got some great positive feedback (I say even because it was < freezing not exactly apfelwein weather).

it was one of those wierd deals - i'm happy everyone enjoyed the beer - but now there's none left for me :mad:

There is that untouched case of bud select the guy brought over, isn't there?:D

*ducks*

meh. i usually offer them a taste to see if they like it. if i want them to drink it the right way, i'll give them an already full glass.

i was surprised at first how disinterested people were in the hobby, but it has become quite the obsession for me so i try not to overpower anyone anymore.

which reminds me, i need to test out my hefe. it should be well ready to drink this weekend. i think i'll swirl it around a bit and pour the whole thing in so i can taste that nasty yeast :D

IndyPABrewGuy said:
A couple things:

1- If your buddies want to drink out of the bottles, let them. After they have several massive BMs the next day, they won't ever do it again.

They might never drink your beer again, though.

Revvy said:
There is that untouched case of bud select the guy brought over, isn't there?:D

*ducks*

Towards the end of the night a few of them got drunk by the guests. Shameful, as there was still homebrew left!

I'm taking the rest to a party this weekend. And about 8 bottles of rolling rock that have been around since Giuliani was a front-runner. A mate from Europe was here and had a bottle of it on saturday night, couldn't believe how awful it was.

After that - I will not be buying any more commercial beer. Going to be brewing like a madman through the rest of winter and then into spring - got to get properly ahead of demand.

I imagine every one of us has gone through the same thing. However, you are not a professor or missionary; you are a host. Your friends are your guests, so don't treat them as if they were your pupils or "naked, uneducated savages." You've extended your hospitality and made your recommendations, but it is up to your guests to decide how and if they want to enjoy that hospitality. Do you offer them your beer for their enjoyment or your validation?

Now, if you do not like the way they have accepted your invitation, you are free to withhold it in the future. If you are offended by someone dumping ketchup on your steak, you don't have to make them another. However, if you do, then you should be ready for them to reach for the ketchup. It works the same way with your beer. If you do not like hwo your friends are drinking your beer, do not offer them any more. However, if you continue to offer it, expect them to continue enjoying it in the same way.

Of course, it's not that you can't continue to make gracious suggestions on how they might better enjoy your beer. In fact, it certainly is not impolite to pour that beer for them as you offer it or to play a few mind games. Just be polite and maybe even a little coy about it. Some will come around, and others may not.

TL

Here's a solution for you: Buy a couple of sixes of the regular BMC for the unwashed heathens and save your homebrew for those who can appreciate it.

+1 for making polite suggestions and letting them find out for themselves. Most of my regular drinking buddies know about good beer and how to enjoy it - the ones that don't are just missing out that's all. I've only had a couple of people who really didn't like my beers and oddly enough - they were both Bud Lt. drinkers. I do appreciate when someone listens to my admittedly in depth dissertations on the process and joys of homebrewing but I don't hold it against people who have no interest. Again, they just don't know what they're missing. Amen to more for me and those who do appreciate the craft.

FSR402 said:
My friends are all into trying new beers and I have some that come over to see what I have thats new, some bring their own growlers to take some home.

Thats how my friends pretty much think of it also. They cant wait to taste my first batch.

As for the op.....I can guess your frustrated b/c it is fun to have a hobby to enjoy participating in, then come to find out that you dont have any friends that are willing to share your excitement. Id be pretty bummed too. Good luck, and im sure if you just slowly get them to try it they will enjoy it as much as you. Maybe you should try to let them do it their way, then try yours; something to compare.

IndyPABrewGuy said:
...After they have several massive BMs the next day....

Huh? Whaaaa? Am I on?

Several rules that work for me when traveling with homebrew.

1) Keep my beer in my own personal cooler...don't place it in the public arena.
2) Pour my own beer and enjoy...keeping my mouth shut.
3) Wait for someone to inquire, then explain what I'm drinking (style, history, flavor...)
4) Make them ask to try it, or gingerly offer to let them sample...making sure to offer to get it for them.
5) Control the serving of the beer (I get the bottle out, I open it, I pour it...)

Once you place your craft beer in the fridge next to the BMC cans, it's going to get treated the same way.

People know better now. When I show up, they ask where my cooler is...and where are the clean glasses.

Whenever I have folks over that are not already up to speed on MY beer, I will offer to get them a taste. Ill crack a bottle and split it between a couple people. That way I can serve it the correct way. If they like it and want some more thats when I "help them" with their first bottle. From then on, if they screw it up its on them. If they did not like it to begin with, there is alway a case of miller on the last shelf of the fridge.

I usually don't share my homebrew with anyone othe than a small group of friends, family and co-workers who appreciate the time and effort that I have put into my beers.
The first time I traveled out of state with homebrew I took a 12 pk ea. of a best bitter and a light ale I brewed for the occasion to my bro-inlaws place.
After dinner sitting around the pool the first night I brought out a couple of bottles of each and some fresh glasses to the table.
The bro-inlaw and his OL are big time Miller Lite drinkers.
Bro-inlaw poured a glass of the light ale and thought it was great, his OL would not try it because she had heard stories of people going blind from homebrew.
After we drank about 10 of the bottles we were able to get the bro-inlaws OL to try both the light ale and best bitter.
For the next 3 days all she would do was keep raving on and on about how that was the best beer she ever drank and wondering why I did not bring more.
BTW, she did not go blind.
AP

Sir Humpsalot said:
LMAO

I agree with the "more for me" sentiment except for the fact that very soon, I will be brewing far more than I drink. Sadly, I fear I will need assistance consuming my beer so that I can brew more.

But, a couple things you can do to reduce your aggravation: First, keg your beer. If it's kegged, you have no more worries. Second option, become better at bottle conditioning. It takes shockingly little yeast to bottle condition. You should be able to produce a bottle-conditioned beer that is clear and doesn't leave a funky cake of yeast at the bottom. Don't ask me how, it's quite the mystery to me... but maybe that's an angle you ought to pursue. It's a way of elevating your craft to another level. Making beer isn't all about brewing... it's about packaging too.

Next, consider pouring your beer. Stand proudly behind your beer at your next party and say, "Hey, let me pour you a sample." and "Let me pour you a pint". If they try to grab one of your bottles, just smack their hand and say, "I'm sorry, but you don't know how to handle a beer like this. This ain't some crap-assed macroswill and I'm not going to let you ruin it! Want a taste?"

I only read a few posts and ran into the one above by Sir Humpsalot. Well put. and I would only add the following.

The thread starter indicates he/she had a party. A party may not be the best venue to introduce people to home brew.

When brewing, we all like to control as many variables as possible. Why not the same during a, "party"?

No, rather than a party, I would invite small groups of people over and introduce them to your beer. Always a good idea to do so when you have very active fermentation in your carboy a bubbling away.

In addition, introduce them to a Kolsch or maybe better yet, Ed Waort's Pale Ale. A lighter colored beer may be a beer more receptive to the BMC crowd.

Keep trying though.

Right now, I'm sort of hoarding my beer. I've only been at it since Dec 1 (proudly 50 gallons in, 30 bottled). Now, I'm actually at a weird intersection where I'm running out of bottles to bottle the 20 gallons I need to bottle within the next couple of weeks.

So, at Super Bowl, I offered to bring chicken wings and home brew. I'm going to take a decent amount. All my friends and relatives are at the "least" curious, and at best very interested. They all love my cooking, so it intrigues them that I would have gone into brewing (I can't believe it took me this long, I've been cooking for years!).

I don't really care "how" they drink it, but I am planning on bringing nice beer glasses. I have drunk a lot of beer in my day, and I like it a little cold, too. Even the beers that are best at certain temps, I just like cold. Sometimes I like to throw a little A-1 on my Prime Steak, too....

All I care about is whether my guests DRINK ALL of their beer or leave dead soldiers.

Dead soldiers to me cannot be tolerated. If I found out who did that, they would be off of the list.

gee to have nieghbors that wont drink my beer what a dream, my nieghbor(apparantly with a drinking problem) stops by at 6am for a beer not like he ever wants to leave either. i just jokingly told my sister i need a way to mask the smell of my brewing beer because its drawing nieghbors. anyway if sir humpsalot has extra beer can i give his address to my nieghbor?

ronrad said:
gee to have nieghbors that wont drink my beer what a dream, my nieghbor(apparantly with a drinking problem) stops by at 6am for a beer not like he ever wants to leave either. i just jokingly told my sister i need a way to mask the smell of my brewing beer because its drawing nieghbors. anyway if sir humpsalot has extra beer can i give his address to my nieghbor?

LOL heck no!!!! :cross:

I won't have my stocks up for at least a few more months. :(

Don't let it get to you. Wait for them to try it their way, and when they said how good it is, tell them to try it your way because it's even better :D

And for anyone who gets freaked about drinking yeast... remind them about bread. Not only are they eating yeast, they're eating yeast burps and farts.

Gammon N Beer said:
I only read a few posts and ran into the one above by Sir Humpsalot. Well put. and I would only add the following.

The thread starter indicates he/she had a party. A party may not be the best venue to introduce people to home brew.

When brewing, we all like to control as many variables as possible. Why not the same during a, "party"?

No, rather than a party, I would invite small groups of people over and introduce them to your beer. Always a good idea to do so when you have very active fermentation in your carboy a bubbling away.

In addition, introduce them to a Kolsch or maybe better yet, Ed Waort's Pale Ale. A lighter colored beer may be a beer more receptive to the BMC crowd.

Keep trying though.

I hosted a party last fall - "Chucktoberfest" with about 30 people of whom maybe 10 had tried my beers prior to the gathering. I held pretty tight reigns on the presentation and pouring of my homebrews and had coolers of BMC out for the less adventurous souls. After a 4:00pm start at the end of the night all of my beers were gone and two coolers of BMC remained. No one griped about the pouring situation and in fact most of the guests were hip to pouring their own after being shown how and told why. Definitely an ego stroke and needless to say there will be a "Chucktoberfest II".

cclloyd said:
I hosted a party last fall - "Chucktoberfest" with about 30 people of whom maybe 10 had tried my beers prior to the gathering. I held pretty tight reigns on the presentation and pouring of my homebrews and had coolers of BMC out for the less adventurous souls. After a 4:00pm start at the end of the night all of my beers were gone and two coolers of BMC remained. No one griped about the pouring situation and in fact most of the guests were hip to pouring their own after being shown how and told why. Definitely an ego stroke and needless to say there will be a "Chucktoberfest II".

Sweet....

I bet a lot of it had to do with your personal presentation. Yet, having those ten more experienced HB drinkers would be a huge asset as well. They gave, "permission" to try it beyond the obvious proud craftsman/lady.

Back