What do you do for your second job?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjacket

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been done before, but I am new to the board. What do y'all do during the day to support your other job? Seems like there are a ton of resourceful people around. Scientists, engineers, cooks? As for me I am a Mechanical Engineering grad student.

IT Service Management.

Fancy way of saying I make sure we have automation in place to know what caused an outage and that we get notified about it.
Perfect end result should be fixing it before the users knows about it.

When things are going well I have time to surf here....when they aren't I become very busy very fast.

I'm part-owner in a wine club (technically, our ABC license is for a gourmet retail shop). It doesn't support my day job, though---quite the other way around. We're still trying to pay off the initial loan/LoC.

I know there is another related thread, but I'll put it here again.

Submarine Sonar Technician US NAVY (Think Jonesy from the Hunt for Red October, only nowhere near as cool as it looks)

Right now I am on shore duty, running simulators to train the fleet, teaching sonar classroom topic, and doing a whole bunch of paperwork. Just like being on a submarine, I still work in a windowless world.

McKBrew said:

Submarine Sonar Technician US NAVY (Think Jonesy from the Hunt for Red October, only nowhere near as cool as it looks)

Right now I am on shore duty, running simulators to train the fleet, teaching sonar classroom topic, and doing a whole bunch of paperwork. Just like being on a submarine, I still work in a windowless world.

So if that's your second job, what's your "day" job? :p

EDIT: maybe the OP was being a little too cryptic, but I might've misunderstood. I guess he was asking, what's our "second" job, brewing being the first.

In that case...I'm an architect.

I am a ER Tech in one of Boston crazy hospitals. Im starting up nursing school this fall. Now that myself and the No Clue Brew Crew are doing all this brewing we are all rethinking what we really want to do for the rest of our lives.

Graduate student in Biochemistry.

I play with huge magnets:
800.jpg

Computer engineer
I design those chips that make everything work (or not work as the case may be) :D

Craig

Senior software engineer (looking to move into project management)

I am a Lifeline Program Manager at our hospital, after being a respiratory therapist and EMT-S first. I work very part time hours now, like 8-10 per week.

I'm actually about a year from retirement, though, and am hoping to pursue some other part time things.

I test Jet Engines (industrial turbines) that are used to generate electricity and power US Coast Guard ships.

God I love whoring this pic...:D

Sam_Christmas_018.jpg

I used to be the regional Network Engineer for a cable company, but they pimped me out like a cheap whore for too long...so I quit. Best paying job I ever had (wasn't worth the stress). ;)

I'm a medical editor for a medical education and communications company. I also own/operate a sideline beekeeping business, which is still in growth mode.

Who has two thumbs and writes code in C#? THIS GUY! I work as a software developer for a small software company.

PseudoChef said:
Graduate student in Biochemistry.

I play with huge magnets:
800.jpg

<<<----- jealous. Our 800 still hasn't arrived yet. When it does.......:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

That that said, I'm also doing biochemistry, but not as a grad student. Yet.

Public accounting - an auditor for one of the 'Big 4' to be exact... work on a variety of middle-market and SEC clients

Looks like we have a very well educated bunch here!

mrkristofo said:
<<<----- jealous. Our 800 still hasn't arrived yet. When it does.......:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

That that said, I'm also doing biochemistry, but not as a grad student. Yet.

Then I should tell you we just put in a 10 million grant for a 900? Nah, guess not...;)

Senior Software Engineer / Embedded Software Engineer

Everything from microcontrollers to LINUX boxes in various programming languages. I also do hardware design but, not at this job.
:mug:

I'm a professional firefighter. I also landscape and mow grass in the summer.

McKBrew said:

So, you mean they really can't disguise a caterpiller driver nuclear sub as a biological event, sonically speaking. Ahhh Man. Now I am bummed out. I thought that was a documentary.

OP, Building Code Examiner, and a Toddlers Dad. But the real work involves being a husband.

Im a student, my second job is brewing beer! :mug:

Sometimes i think it goes the other way though..... haha

I manage the Outdoor Power department at a Do-It Best Hardware store. I get to sell Husqvarna chainsaws and garden tractors, plus I look up and order all the repair parts for custs and for the mechanics in the back.

Plus I homeschool my son in the mornings. I like the Dad part the best.

I'm a full time undergraduate student in Accouting, basically studying to do what RoaringBrewer and blacklab do.

I guess my third job would be part-time at the LHBS. It supports my brewing quite well...

Back