What do ya'll think of this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fretman124

Reaction score
I recently made a lemon wheat that was really good (to me). Light and crisp.

Got to thinking and came up with this.

Showed the recipe to a AG EAC friend of mine and his comment was(with sarcasm dripping off the edges), "looks like a unique brew. Tell me how the last glass tastes."

Thats one guys opinion, whats yours?

1 lbs. Crystal Malt 10°L
7 lbs. Liquid Light Extract
3 lbs. Honey (at flameout)
1 oz. Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.5 oz. Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 20 min.
.5 oz. Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 10 min.
1 oz. Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) used as dry hop.
2 tablespoons Fresh orange Zest last 10 minutes of the boil (not included in calculations)
1 ounces Orange extract in secondary (not included in calculations)
Yeast : White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale info
OG 1.066
FG 1.014
ABV 6.8

That actually sounds kinda good. Unique certainly, but not bad unique like making prison hooch or anything. My only question is how is it a lemon wheat? I don't see any wheat in the recipe. I think experimenting is good, but the only problem is you have so much time and money invested in a batch that a bad one really sucks, but I still experiment. That is what it is all about.

Uhmmmmmm

the lemon wheat was a previous batch. Made me think of this batch, which is based on a blonde ale, then tortured to fit my twisted taste buds.

If this works, Im thinking of doing a vanilla-orange cream ale. Sort of like the popsicle

First let me say that this is not my beer style but it looks interesting and quite probably good.
Some comments:
It seems to be this recipe would benefit from a Belgian yeast. The fruity esters of a Wit or Trappist yeast would complement it nicely.
Some honey malt would probably improve the honey flavor.
Thats alot of honey. Change the ratios a little and you would have a braggot. Maybe look for some braggot recipes for ideas.
I think with the honey and orange flavors I would play it very lite or remove the late hop additions. You wouldn't want the hops to hide the other complexities of this beer.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Craig

I would consider some Amarillo hops if you want to keep the flavor hop additions. They add a real nice citrusy touch that's very complementary to the Cascades. As noted, though, it's going to be pretty easy for the hops to overwhelm the honey and orange flavors, so take it easy with them.

Notes taken on the hops. I'll play with the amounts/times and get the IBU's down to about 15. Its 23 right now according to the calculator.

Do I continue with the dry hop? I'll remove the late additions, or at least tone them down some.

What I'm looking for is a light, slightly sweet, lightly orange flavored beer. if it works it should be a great 105 degree afternoon beer that the wife will like.

fretman124 said:
What I'm looking for is a light, slightly sweet, lightly orange flavored beer. if it works it should be a great 105 degree afternoon beer that the wife will like.

In that case, I'd suggest crafting a good witbier recipe as a base, then modifying it to get what you want. I made a wit, and added what was too much (for the traditional style) orange peel and coriander to the boil. Now, it's one of my favorite beers. It's orangey, citrusy (from the coriander), but not over the top. Here's my base recipe. You can up the orange peel if you want, or even stick with adding orange flavoring at bottling time---but this beer, as is, is awesome...spicy, citrusy, light, and excellent on a summer day.

'Coriander? I Hardly Know 'Er!' Witbier

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

16-A Belgian & French Ale, Witbier

Min OG: 1.044 Max OG: 1.052
Min IBU: 10 Max IBU: 20
Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 4 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.50
Anticipated OG: 1.061 Plato: 15.00
Anticipated SRM: 5.7
Anticipated IBU: 19.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.88 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.052 SG 12.85 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Tinseth
Tinseth Concentration Factor: 1.30

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
42.9 4.50 lbs. Maris Otter Pale Malt Great Britain 1.038 3
14.3 1.50 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2
14.3 1.50 lbs. Red Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 8
19.0 2.00 lbs. White Wheat Belgium 1.040 3
9.5 1.00 lbs. Flaked Soft White Wheat America 1.034 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.75 oz. Northern Brewer Whole 6.50 17.3 60 min.
0.50 oz. Strisselspalt Pellet 1.80 1.7 15 min.
0.25 oz. Liberty Pellet 4.00 0.8 5 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP400 Belgian Wit Ale

EDIT: not sure why, but my coriander and orange peel aren't showing up here. Sorry. Just figure out what the typical amounts are, then double that.

Why the whole hops? For some reason I thought they were better and used them in my all Cascade APA, huge PITA. Only pellets for me from now on.

Back