What do verious hops taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rilewedge

Reaction score
I am new to brewing I have done 5 extract brews only one was a kit the rest I worked through BeerSmith. I have been thinking about doing a SMaSH in small batch's to work through all the hops. Well maybe not all of them but 6-8 ish.

I was thinking of doing extracts in a 2.5 gallon batch 1 gallon boil.

American Ale yeast (Wyeast 1056)
LME Pilson light (Briess) added at flame off.

Hops: looking for ideas on what I should use?

Perle 30 min boil in 1 gallon

I don't want to end up with a lot of beer I don't like... is why the small batch size.

Will this work and give me a good representation of what the hops taste like?

Thanks for the link!

I have looked at similar charts but I think I really need to taste them to get a good feel for them. I can narrow the list down with the descriptions as to what I may like.

Ok, let me expand on the OP's question: At what stages of addition do these things matter? ie if I used the equivalent IBUs of Styrian goldings could I tell the difference from cascade if added at 60 mins? ie should you just use the best value IBUs/Dollar hop for bittering?

If you're adding for 60 minutes (or really anything much past 40), the flavors in the hop description will have vanished. A lot of us just use the highest alpha acid hop we have, both to save money and to have less wort sucked up by the hops. For bittering, you'll want to look at the cohumulone content. The higher a hop is in cohumulone, the harsher the bitterness. If you can't find that number, don't worry; most high alpha hops are low in cohumulone.

Back