What do people make cysers with? Pasteurized or raw cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan O

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have made 2 successful cysers, so far. I used Simply Apple juice both times & had no issues, no complaints. Simply Apple is just pressed apples, what I would call raw, not pasteurized or chemically stabilized.
My question is, what does everybody else use for theirs? I know to stay away from anything that has been chemically stabilized, but, Is it okay to use pasteurized? I found a local cider to me that tastes delicious & has not been chemically stabilized, but, HAS been pasteurized. I think it would taste as a great cyser.
Which brings up another question. When I calculate my sugars, do I calculate them any differently if the cider is pasteurized? Those would be nonfermentable sugars, correct? All comments are welcome, as I'm still learning. Thank you in advance.
Happy meading 😎

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211013-083358_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211013-083358_Chrome.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 2
All sugars in Apple juice/cider are fermentable. No non-fermentables in there, doesn't matter if pasteurised or not.

Pasteurizing changes the taste slightly, but you can certainly use it.

Use what you can get. I've been on the hunt for a decade+ for the best combination of apples in my area that produce the best hard cider. It's a lot of effort and trial and error, and all I can say is if you find something you like then stick with that. Simply apple is a good product, but a little expensive. Your local cider is likely watered down, but might work great. Recenty I've been making cyser by fermenting a hard cider and a mead separately and then blending to taste.

Use what you can get. I've been on the hunt for a decade+ for the best combination of apples in my area that produce the best hard cider. It's a lot of effort and trial and error, and all I can say is if you find something you like then stick with that. Simply apple is a good product, but a little expensive. Your local cider is likely watered down, but might work great. Recenty I've been making cyser by fermenting a hard cider and a mead separately and then blending to taste.
Thank you @madscientist451. Agreed, Simply Apple IS expensive🤑🤑, which is why I want to find another alternative. This is a cider local to me that has a really good apple 🍎 bite, but, also a smooth finish, which is the reason for asking the questions.
I keep forgetting about blending. My first cyser had finished waay too sweet, 1.050, & I had a cranberry that had too much fruit for waay too long & came out verrrry tart. I blended the last bottle of cyser with the cranberry & WOW was that good! Hands down, the best cran-apple drink I've ever had.
I haven't tried using real apples yet, but, I suspect that will be happening fairly soon. Thanks again for the advise.

Attachments

• 20211005_054535.jpg
    20211005_054535.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
I am on a quest for the perfect cyser as well. If you learn anything, be sure to share it here. I will do the same.

I am on a quest for the perfect cyser as well. If you learn anything, be sure to share it here. I will do the same.
I got this reply over @ Gotmead.com...
I hope this helps you narrow down your search.
Happy meading 😎

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211015-084946_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211015-084946_Chrome.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 21
The first (and only) cyser I have made that has reached the drinking stage (bulk aged, bottled, and aged again), was delicious! Maybe the best fermented drink i have ever consumed. It was made with a "cloudy" off the shelf "cider," I don't have the brand info in front of me right now. I expected the cloudy cider to be difficult to clear, but it cleared very easily.

I have a Motts juice cyser in secondary/aging right now. It was "reinforced" with some Old Orchard frozen concentrate, in addition to the honey, to bump the OG. I hope it will also give it a good applely acid and tannin taste.

Both are 9~10% abv. I added a little acid blend and grape skin tannin to the first, and backsweetened a little. I expect to do the same to the second as well, as required, and it is currently on oak.

Thank you @madscientist451. Agreed, Simply Apple IS expensive🤑🤑, which is why I want to find another alternative. This is a cider local to me that has a really good apple 🍎 bite, but, also a smooth finish, which is the reason for asking the questions.
I keep forgetting about blending. My first cyser had finished waay too sweet, 1.050, & I had a cranberry that had too much fruit for waay too long & came out verrrry tart. I blended the last bottle of cyser with the cranberry & WOW was that good! Hands down, the best cran-apple drink I've ever had.
I haven't tried using real apples yet, but, I suspect that will be happening fairly soon. Thanks again for the advise.
I use regular Aldi apple juice for ciders and cysers. It works fine and it's cheap. Maybe not as tasty as juice from local fresh pressed but that's not available to me. You can also use Wal Mart stuff, too; I just try to avoid that store.

I've always used pasteurized cider from a local source. My cyser generally turns out very well, but I'm finding that it doesn't age as well as mead does.

I'm drinking a 5-year-old cyser right now at this moment, and it tastes OK, but my notes say it was phenomenal at 2 and 3 years. I would not call it "phenomenal" now -- it's not bad, but apparently past its prime.

This is the longest that I've ever aged a cyser, so I don't know if this is the way aging always works, or maybe it's just this particular batch. 13% ABV and made with D-47 yeast, in case anyone has data to compare.

Back