What do I set my freezer control at for use with a Ranco temp control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsncrabs

Reaction score
Title says it all. What do I set my freezer dial control for when using a Ranco to cool? Lowest setting? Highest setting? I cant seem to find the answer in the online manual. I have a Johnson A419 as well and swear you had to put the dial control at a specific setting, but i cant find that in the on line manual either.

The default is to just set it to its coldest setting and let the Ranco work unimpeded. However, you could also use the fridge thermostat to assure the fridge could never go below a certain temperature - obviously comfortably below the range you'd set the Ranco so it doesn't get cut off with useful work still to do.

I can think of one case that this would be good insurance: I've read of folks who inadvertently forgot to put their controller's probe back inside their fridge after moving kegs around. "Hard Beer"...

Cheers! ;)

That's what I thought but I couldn't find it anywhere. Thx. My keezer just died and I was trying to figure out how to set my other fermentation freezer to cool after spending the winter in the warm cycle. Had to transfer kegs. Glad I had a spare.! Now to find a deal on a new freezer! Hope the new one lasts 21 years like the old one!

Back